Practice, Practice and More Practice

"So how are the sword lessons coming?" Mauve asked as she threw another pebble in Valda's direction.

Valda used her powers to move it onto the pile beside her, quickly focusing on the next one Mauve threw in her direction before she could answer.

"Good. I can at least defend myself against Arlie even if I can't stop him." Valda frowned, thinking how many times Arlie had knocked her on her rump the first two days she'd started training.

"At least you're learning and getting better. I'm stuck here." Mauve wrinkled her nose in annoyance.

She knew she was being unfair. Some of the partners were very pleasant and their conversations were insightful, but usually it was quickly drowned out by the others and inevitably the conversation became idle gossip. If she had one more conversation about table placements, she was likely to stab someone with a fork.

"Yeah, well, being with the Lords isn't a barrel full of laughs either."

Carrick's pride at being invited to their meetings had dwindled. For all their strategizing, they had not come up with a single plan that would actually work.

"Hey, you helped those kids in the orphanage and the others in the stronghold who were going without food." Tevin was quick to remind both Mauve and Carrick.

Lord Glenton hadn't disappointed on that front. A few careful words from Mauve and he had excused himself from the meeting and rushed straight out into the stronghold, his wife by his side. They had returned hours later, tired, dirty and worried.

From there it was almost too easy.

Of course, all the high Fae strenuously denied any prior knowledge of the situation which had caused Valda to grind her teeth lest she call them out on their lies. Even Lord Glenton seemed suspicious of some of their sincerity, but resolved to right the situation.

Meals at the manor were much less opulent and whilst most seemed to accept his arrangement there were many who grumbled when they thought no one was around. The General mostly had seemed aghast at the news, but Valda had noticed how he'd kept a strict eye on her and Tevin.

He had no evidence to suggest they had been involved, and yet with his shrewdness he had jumped to the right conclusion, regardless.

Mostly the Lords and partners were enamoured by Mauve, whose kind heart had supposedly brought this awful situation to their attention. But Jenna at the orphanage had made it known amongst the people who had really helped.

During their time outside of the stronghold, many now approached both Valda and Tevin in order to say their thanks, however begrudgingly it was for some. They had both gained acceptance from the people.

The only thing that which remained a mystery was the miraculous recovery of Arlie's sister, Ona. That had been chalked up to an honest, pure, miracle.

Arlie strolled through the door before anyone could say anything else, and her eyes zeroed in on the pebbles that dropped loudly to the floor.

"Best tidy those away. The General, Lord Glenton, and Lord Tristan are on their way."

Valda and Mauve looked at each other and then at the two piles of pebbles next to them.

"Quick lesson, get these back into this bag." Mauve held up the rough sack with urgency.

Not having to think about it, Valda moved the pebbles easily until they were all nestled in the bag. The feat would have once caused her trouble, but as she got used to her magic, it was becoming almost second nature. She only wished there was more time to practice with Mauve.