Recovery

Valda bolted up, the bed sheets sliding off her body.

"Shhhh shhhh calm down, my brave girl. All is well." Orlaigh stroked her fingers down her daughter's cheek. Ever since she had recovered, she'd refused to leave Valda's side. Even now her eyes drifted over Valda's face, taking in every detail and committing it to memory.

"Mom?"

Not being able to resist, Orlaigh pulled Valda into a hug, relishing in the feel of her daughter clinging on to her. "I've waited so long to hear you say that."

Tears flowed freely between them, but neither of them cared. They were together, finally.

Eventually they broke apart, and Valda shuffled up in the bed. "What happened?" Her memories of what happened after her battle with Lorcan were a complete blank.

Orlaigh's face turned serious, and she grabbed Valda's hand and squeezed it. "It was close. Darling, you used so much magic we almost lost you. If it wasn't for that fairy, I think we would have." She wiped a few stray tears from her face.

"And Lorcan?"

Orlaigh looked away, unsure of what to do.

"She can handle it, love." A male voice spoke from the door.

Both heads snapped up as Ken strolled through the door.

"Dad." Valda's smile was wide as her father came to sit on her other side. "You're here?"

"Your Mom had Artair fetch me as soon as she was awake. And I hear you have quite the story." Though he was joking, the relief in his face was clear to see as he looked over her.

Valda nodded. "So what can I handle?" She watched her parents share a moment before they both turned to look at her.

Orlaigh's grip on her hand tightened. "Darling, I'm sorry, but Lorcan has escaped."

Valda's mouth dropped open, and she shook with anger. "How did that happen?"

"Easy, Valda. You're still recovering." Ken ran a hand down her face, but Valda shook her head.

"After your battle he was led to the dungeons, but one of our own betrayed us. He escaped before I had recovered enough to decide his punishment." Orlaigh's face was dark. She'd hoped that the betrayals were over, but this recent one had hurt her deeply.

Valda shook her head in denial. "After everything we went through and he just escaped. It was all for nothing."

Orlaigh took Valda's face in her hands. "Never think that. You saved this kingdom and untied its people."

"But he'll be back, won't he?"

Orlaigh looked at Ken, and an understanding passed between them.

"Valda, you still need rest. This isn't the time to worry over this."

"But Dad-"

"No buts, sunshine. Besides, I think you have a few visitors who want to see you." Ken got up and pulled the door open, smirking as Mauve and Tevin spilled onto the floor, Carrick, Dusk and Arlie looking guilty behind them.

"Forgive us your majesties." Tevin's face was red as he scrambled to his feet, helping Mauve up.

Orlaigh hid her smirk, whilst Valda chuckled beside her.

"We'll leave you to speak, but not too long. Your father is right, you still need your rest."

Orlaigh took Ken's hand, and they left the room, smiling at the animated conversation sounding behind them. They paused as the guards moved aside, and then they continued down the corridor.

"You have to tell her." Ken looked at Orlaigh, his eyes tracing over the curves of her face as though he would never see them again.

"I know and I will, but she must recover first."

Ken nodded. "When?"

Orlaigh sighed, though a small smile lingered on her face. It was so like her Ken to cut straight to the point.

"The council will gather in a week, the other creatures of Lania will also be there and the other kingdoms-

"No doubt to kiss up after leaving Lania to fend for itself." Ken muttered under his breath.

Orlaigh laughed. "Of course, that is how politics works." But then her expression became serious. "I will tell them all then."

She looked out seeing the sea of faces, Fae, Giant, Troll, Fairy, Dragon. Knowing they were all brought together by Valda and knowing that they would all have to stand as one for what was to come.

"Lorcan no longer threatens just Lania but all of Adiocion."