Etna's Mission

Valda fiddled with her new clothes, tugging at the skirts gathered at her waist and huffing at the ridiculous sleeves that fell to below her elbows. She missed her own comfier clothes, but at least she'd saved them. The maids had wanted to throw them away, but Valda had insisted they be returned once cleaned after she'd seen the clothes they had lined up for her.

They may have been considered the height of fashion for Lania, but Valda found the clothes heavy and restrictive. It had amazed her that Mauve had managed their entire journey wearing something similar. Valda only hoped her clothes had been more comfortable. Even her feet were aching from the tiny dress shoes they'd forced her feet into.

"Stop playing with your sleeves. You look great." Mauve chided her whilst Tevin and Carrick tried to hide their smiles.

They, of course, were dressed in their usual style of clothes. Hard wearing trousers, cotton shirts and waxy jackets.

Before Valda could retort, the General marched into the room with his head held high. "I trust you all slept well. There is a strategy meeting this morning. I hoped that Prince Carrick may attend and if Princess Mauve would kindly entertain their partners and families." He only had eyes for the royals, overlooking Tevin and Valda as if they were not there.

Carrick's eyes instantly lit up with the invitation. A desperate need to live up to his father's greatness burst inside him. It was only Tevin and Valda's downcast expressions that stopped him from instantly accepting.

"What about Tevin and Valda?" They looked at Carrick with gratitude before meeting the General's gaze.

It was easy to see that he would rather have nothing to do with either of them, but he still managed a smile in their direction, fake pity lingering in his eyes.

"I'm afraid given... Tevin's," he stumbled over his name as if he'd tasted something foul, "background many would distrust him at such a meeting even with your presence Sire. And for Valda's safety, I do not wish to call even more attention to her."

Valda and Tevin clenched their hands in anger. Tevin's mood soured as once again his parentage was brought into question, and the General's knowing gaze infuriated Valda. She knew she was an oddity in this world. Her clothes, accent, and everything else about her singled her out as someone different. Already, she had endured whispered conversations as she'd walked down the halls and the false smiles of those who lived in the building.

She felt like the General's reasoning was weak. She was already the cause for much gossip and ruffled feathers, and that was before they found out who she really was. Throughout their journey, she had never questioned her decision to come and help free Lania and her mother. But now she wondered whether her mother had been optimistic in sending Carrick and Mauve to get her.

It looked like the resistance was doing well enough without her. For the first time, she felt discarded by the very place she had wanted to save. It left a sour feeling deep in her stomach.

"I suppose that makes sense." Carrick still looked worriedly between Tevin and Valda, sensing their displeasure, but he was unsure what to do. His father had always trusted Hagen, it had been Artair who'd given him the old nickname of the General in the first place, but still he was hesitant.

Tevin was an excellent fighter, even Carrick would acknowledge that, and his knowledge of the castle and Lania's land far outstripped his own. And Valda, well, Valda was the Queen's rightful successor. But not only that, she had proven herself to be tough and resourceful. He was also aware of his sister's unhappiness at having to entertain the families.

Once upon a time Mauve would have loved it, delicate cups filled with tea and tasty little morsels of food to keep the hunger away. But their trek through Lania's wilderness had changed her. She was no longer the delicate princess, but a teenager who wanted to have her say and shape the world. No longer did she feel content with sitting and being the pretty princess. She wanted to do more.