Ch 17: War

Tat tat

The sound if my knuckle against the cell sounds throughout the walls. Was it that loud before? However loud it seemed, the silence that followed was deafening. Even my own heartbeat echoed the hollow silence. Uneasiness settled comfortably in the pit of my stomach, like a feral cat that you can't get rid of laying in your soft, warm bed. He smirks at me.

"Well well," he purrs, "Come to visit again, little one?"

"What do you mean visit? I've been here for- ...Actually, I don't even remember. But its been long enough that seeing me isn't new." He laughs coldly. The air feels thin and I feel heavy again. I breathe with the weight of a beached whale across my chest, thrashing for safety. "Well, you seemed to have left in the midst of our game." A flicker in his eye made me quiver.

It had to be fear. He was a criminal after all.

With a small gasp of thin air, I shakily lowered myself to the floor. Something feels different.

"Now then," he coos. "Where were we?"

I couldn't pay attention. His questions now felt much less playful, instead sending stabs in my chest with each interrogation. Then the worst of all.

"Why are you here?"

I didn't pay attention at first, my mind wandering to the lab.

Slam

I jumped out of my skin, numb enough that i was unable to tell if I was ready to fight or flee.

"Did you hear me that time?"

I didn't like his eyes. They were ice in my veins, mixed with fresh adrenaline.

"What?"

"Why. Are. You. Here?" I can't read his face.

"I-i don't know. Why does it matter?"

He smiled. A big, toothy grin that spread across his features. I knew he wasn't human, but this didn't seem like Loki.

Or I had just been too blind to accept this was the real Loki.

"Oh, so precious. You think I didn't know?" He stood to his feet. Why does he look so much taller..? My lungs swell and ache until I realize how long I had gone without breath.

I ran. Dashing out into the hall as I gasp for air. There's no way if he escapes that I would be safe in my room. Theres no way I'm safe in this tower. I pull out the tablet, watching as he stares at the door. I feel his eyes through the cold steel. The world is so effortlessly still as I shake and collapse to the floor.

Fuck, I'm such a crybaby... I should've seen this coming. I mean, he destroyed New York. Snapping my neck would be the easiest job in the universe to him.

Maybe I even deserve it