Chapter 18: Dance Lessons

Professor McGonagall called us down to an empty classroom for a special lesson. It's been a couple days since Fred and mine fought, and we ignored each other the most we could.

The girls and boys were on different sides of the class. "The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night we and our guests father in the great hall for well mannered frivolity," McGonagall says.

"As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost a dance," she continues.

Everyone whispered to each other, and I whispered to Angelina and Katie who were sitting next to me, "There is no way I'm dancing."

"Come on, y/n. It'll be fun," Angelina says.

"You don't want to dance with Cedric," Katie says, and I roll my eyes. The whole school still believes we are dating, even though we deny everyone who says it.

"Silence. The house of Godrick Griffindore has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons," she says.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight," McGonagall continues. "Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley, will you join me?"

Ron reluctantly gets up, and goes to the center of the room with McGonagall. "Now, place your right hand on my waist," she says, and Ron stares at her like she's crazy, and I start chuckling myself.

"Where?" Ron asks.

"My waist," McGonagall says. I see Fred wolf whistle at them, and I smile lightly, seeing Ron embarrassed. "Now bend your arm. Mr. Filch." Filch starts the music, and classically music starts playing, that I'm familiar with.

I remember when Mother taught Draco and I the waltz. There was so much laughter in that room, until Father came into the room, and started destroying everything in sight since he had a bad day.

"Everyone come on," McGonagoll says, and all the girls beside me stand up on their feet excited, and I slouch down in my seat. The boys stay seated, not wanting to dance at all. "Boys on your feet." Everyone hesitated, but Nevile stood first, and soon enough all of them were on their feet.

It broke my heart when I saw Angelina basically run up to Fred, and he smiles, and they start to dance. I stayed seated in my seat, watching everyone pair up when Lee stood in front of me. "Would you do me the great honor of dancing with me," he says, holding out his hand dramatically.

"I don't dance," I say, waving him off.

"Well now you do," he says. He grabs both of my hands, and pulls me out of my seat. He pulls me to the center of the room, and smiles when he gets to the spot he wants. He put his hand on my waist, and held up my right hand, and I put my other hand on his shoulder.

We started doing the waltz and laughing when one of us messed up, or more him. "I thought you said you couldn't dance," he says.

"I got a couple moves up my sleeve," I say.

"Talked to Fred yet?" he asks, and I look over to Fred, who looks happy with Angelina, and I shake my head. "Maybe you should talk to him. I hate seeing you two like this, it's honestly unbearable."

"I don't know, he's never been this mad at me before," I say.

"He's not mad at you, he's mad at the situation. He thinks that everything goes his way, and he is always right. All you need to do is talk it out," Lee says.

"Maybe I will," I say, but still unsure if I have the gut to do it. "So, who are you asking to the dance?"

"I don't know. Maybe I'll ask Katie," Lee says, looking over to Katie who was dancing with George.

"Good choice, she's been talking about you for a while," I say, remembering Katie talking about him.

"Really, like what?" he asks, and I laugh. "What about you? Who do you want to ask you to the dance?"

"Who do you think?" I say, eyeing him, knowing I'm talking about Fred.

"Well, maybe he'll come around," he says. "If not you could always go with pretty boy Diggory." I groan, laying my head on his chest.

"Since when is life so complicated," I say, and I could feel his chest going up and down, and I knew he was laughing.

"Life has always been complicated, sweetie. Now it's love complicated," he says in a singsong voice. We continued to dance, until we could leave, and Lee and I were laughing walking out.

I decided to spend the rest of my day in the library, studying, and thinking about how I was supposed to talk to Fred.