four

tw // mention of cuts from self harm

**

"Maybe ease into the conversation. Tell him what you told me about his eyes and then go from there."

Corpse's advice ran through Sykunno's head a few days later. He could barely sleep thinking about what he was going to do. He had a plan all set up in his head. He'd asked Jay if they could meet up at the park by his dorm. When he saw him, he would ask him to sit down beside him on the swing and then he would go from there. The plan was perfect in his head, but he knew that anything could go wrong because of his nerves.

A slight wind picked up then and rustled through the colorful leaves on the trees. Sykkuno shivered and pulled his hat further down onto his head, burying himself deeper into his coat. He glanced around at the people walking their dogs, rushing to work, going into stores, and the laughing children racing around the park. For some reason, the commotion around him eased his nerves. If he was alone, he probably would've chickened out.

Two girls who looked like they were in middle school sauntered up to him then. One of them crossed her arms. "Are you done on that swing? You're not even swinging."

"I'm actually waiting for my friend-"

"You're literally too old to be on there, stop hogging it!" The other girl snapped.

Sykkuno sighed. "Where are your parents?"

"Who cares, just get up!" She shoved him hard suddenly and he tumbled off of the swing into the sand.

"Hey!" He hissed.

"Sykkuno, what the hell is going on?" Jay's voice made him freeze. He stood up quickly and wiped the sand off his pants.

"N-Nothing." He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Pfft, only you would get pushed around by little girls." He giggled.

Sykkuno shot him a look.

The girls stuck their tongues out at him and he gave them one last glare before they left. That was the worst possible time to embarrass himself in front of him. He took in a deep breath and collected himself again.

"Did you just want to walk around?" He asked.

"Sure."

They walked for a while through the park. Sykkuno could feel his heart pounding in his ears, he kept his gaze on the sidewalk.

"So," Jay spoke up slowly, "what did you wanna talk to me about?"

"U-Um, well, um..." He couldn't find the right words.

"Then just try to imagine someone else when you're with him, that might distract you." Corpse's voice sounded in his head again.

He clenched his teeth and looked directly at Jay. He imagined Corpse was there beside him instead.

"I just wanted to ask...If maybe you wanted to go out sometime?" He forced the words out and held his breath waiting for his response.

"Go out?" Jay blinked. "Don't we always go out together?"

"N-No, like um, like on an actual date..."

His eyes widened. "Oh."

Sykkuno swallowed the lump in his throat. "Yeah."

Jay ran a hand slowly through his hair. An unsure look flickered across his face, but it was quickly covered with a small smile. "Sure Sy, you can take me anywhere."

His heart stopped. "What? Really?"

"Yes, I would love to go out with you."

It didn't feel real. Did he really just say yes? He wasn't joking around?