Ch. 10, When the Clock Strikes Midnight

Sutton ran through the falling snow, the cold air stinging her throat. Even so she felt only warm inside as she made her way to the main lodge. At night, the lodge sparkled, mysterious yet warm, like the man she now ran to meet. 

She expected the lodge to be completely empty, instead, to her dismay, it was packed with people.... who were all wearing gowns, and tuxes. And, swerving in between all of them, were elves dressed in green outfits, striped stockings, pointy hats, holding silver trays brimming with appetizers. 

What the elf?

For a moment Sutton considered turning back around and walking straight back into the night, and back to her room. But then she stopped herself. 

This was the Christmas Eve ball!

She'd talked with Cam about buying tickets to it... but of course he'd said no, because he had no real intention of coming with her. The thought of her ex, and spending tonight alone, resolved her. She straightened her back, and walked confidently forward. 

A dozen people turned to look at her, and her um--strange attire--and she instantly put her head down and muttered something about "emergency" and crossed to a back staircase. Thankfully the next floor was blessedly free of people, most of them down at the ball. 

Except for the man standing before the Grandfather clock. 

He stood still as the night around him, the moonlight filtering through the glass, kissing the frame of his shoulders. Even from here, Sutton could tell that he wore a tux, and she suddenly cursed herself for not dressing at least a little nicer. I mean, her makeup looked cute, and her hair disheveled just enough to look like it might be natural, but she definitely wasn't prepared for gowns and tuxes. 

She paced around the moonlit hallway, and Marius suddenly turned, a warm smile lighting his face, melting away her annoyance. 

"You came," he said, as if her presence were the greatest treat in the world. 

She shrugged, warm flooding her stomach when he stepped forward and lightly kissed her on both cheeks. The touch left a burning warmth behind, but thankfully there wasn't time for her to stutter out something embarrassing. 

"Come," he said, taking her hand in his and pulling her forward. "You're just in time. Watch."

He stared at the Grandfather clock expectantly, and Sutton followed his gaze, though she had no idea what they were looking for. Both hands of the clock nearly pointed straight up; it was nearly midnight. She wondered what happened at midnight when---

The clock began a deep, almost errie song. She watched, entranced, as the melody rose and floated over the room, and even far below, the party goers paused, until the final notes boomed out the hour. It felt as if a spell had been cast, deep and ancient, only releasing the people below with it's final boom.

When the note faded, Sutton turned to Marius and smiled. "That was beautiful. I haven't heard it do that before."

Marius sighed. "That because some of the guests complained, so they disabled the sound. But every year, on Christmas, I ask for them to reactivate it. My grandmother used to tell me that any wish made after the clock struck midnight on Christmas Eve was the most likely to come true... which is why I asked you here."

He swallowed, looking down, and then back up. 

"I have something to ask you. A favor. But I was too afraid you would say no, so I wanted to ask you here. Tonight." He glanced at the clock, and smiled sheepishly. "It's silly, but I hoped... with the clock... and the ball below... I might find the words I needed."

Sutton swallowed, her heart hammering out her chest, trying for nonchalance, even though her voice was two octaves to high when she said, "And what was it you wanted to ask me?"

"I was hoping you would attend a New Years Ball with me? And, if you wanted, help me plan it? I could use someone with a writing background."

Sutton was surprised, not to mention flattered. "Of course... Like the one downstairs?"

"Well, not quite. It's not here actually. Though it's only a short ride away." He looked down at his feet, as if embarrassed.

Sutton was having trouble maintaining her nonchalant act. "Where is it?"

"A castle," he cleared his throat, finally looking up at her again. "My castle, technically."