Ch. 14, Cinderella

"Marius, darling, you really should have told me you were bringing some woman," Marius's mother swooped in, pecking Marius on both cheeks before turning hawk-like eyes to Sutton. Sutton swallowed nervously, wondering if it were possible for a stare to could burn an actual hole in someone's forehead. How had he failed to tell her his mother would be here?! And had he not told her because she was just, as his mother so eloquently put it, "some woman"?

"Not some woman. This is Sutton. She's the American writer I told you about, the one who had the idea for the ball. Because of her we've had more reservations in the past few days than the past few years." 

The Countess's eyes narrowed further, as if skeptical of even good news, and looked pointedly at Sutton's wild hair before sniffing. "Well then, Sutton, you had best get to it. There is much that still remains to be done."  

"Yes, ma'am. I mean, Countess," Sutton dipped in what was likely the worst curtsy in all of history, and then quickly made her way past the two of them, even though she hadn't the faintest idea where she was going. Sutton decided to walk towards the double doors the Countess had emerged from, walking at the speed that she hoped said I'm not eavesdropping, but I still hope Marius comes after me. Behind her, Marius and his mother argued in lowered voices. Sutton stepped through the double doors, and then was thankful neither was watching, because her jaw nearly hit the floor. 

A massive room spread out around, every inch covered in Christmas decorations, some still laying on long wooden tables. Sutton was suddenly reminded me of the Hogwarts Yule Ball, (which she had always dreamed of attending) though she quickly decided to keep that observation to herself. She wasn't sure the Countess would appreciate the sentiment (as she'd also decided the Countess was most likely a Slytherin). 

"Sutton, I'm so sorry about that," Marius ducked through the door behind Sutton, his hand lightly touching the small of her back as he guided her forward. "Truly, I had no idea she would be here. Normally none of my family comes to the ball. But this year, we had so many reservations, and everyone's talking about The Christmas Jewel, and wanting to search for it, that apparently a few of them decided to come up."

Sutton shrugged, trying to show him how super chillax and cool she was (while also reminding herself never to use the word "chillax" in front of him or his family.) "It's nothing," she said, hoping she sounded like one of her own badass book heroines. 

"It's not nothing. You've been a true friend."

Sutton tried not to visibly cringe. Friend? FRIEND? Maybe she had played all of this just a bit too cool. She waved a hand, "Oh, you know us Americans, we're wildly chill about everything." Sure, Sutton, when in a hole, why not keep digging? 

He laughed as if what she'd said was adorable, and not ridiculous. "Tell me, are American's good at decorating?" He picked up a strand of garland laid on one of the long oak tables in the center of the room. 

"Of course? Why do you think the Brits tried so hard to keep us?"

This time his laughter boomed throughout the hall, and together the two of them set to work finishing the decorations for the ball. 

*

Hours later, with all the decorations in place, the final arrangements made, Marius led Sutton to what he called "the sleeping quarters".  The only thing Sutton hadn't helped with was hiding The Christmas Jewel itself. Apparently Sunglass Todd had received that honor, and had hid the jewel someplace he claimed was both "in plain sight, yet not easily found." Whatever that meant. Sutton hid a yawn, exhausted from a long day, and followed after Marius as he opened a solid oak door at the end of a long hallway. 

Sutton's yawn suddenly fell away as she stepped into a room with a huge stained glass window, looking out over a snow covered forest below. Even the furniture looked like it belonged in a queen, with an enormous wardrobe and a bed with drapes all around. 

"I have something for you," he said, walking deeper into the room while Sutton tried not to gawk at the actual fireplace, with an actual fire inside, and what looked like a real bearskin rug at the base of the bed. Be cool, Sutton, be cool. 

Marius made his way to the stained glass window, that Sutton saw showed an elegant portrait of a rose. On the low couch set before the window, lay a gorgeous red gown. 

Sutton stepped closer, this time not able to hide her shock. "Is that--"

"A gown, for the ball tomorrow. Your friend Lia reached out to me, and happened to mention your size and favorite color."

"Lia contacted you?"

He smiled. "She said she wanted to make sure I wasn't try to lure you to a castle, to break some ancient curse? Or maybe it was to steal your kidney?"

Sutton laughed, "Sounds like Lia. Maybe she should be the writer." Sutton swirled the dress around her, already thinking how gorgeous it would look tomorrow. And then she stopped, the dress falling to her side. After the ball, she flew back to the states. It felt like she were Cinderella, and when the clock struck midnight, she would go straight back to her pumpkins and mice. 

"Everything okay?" Marius asked.

Sutton shook her head, smiling. "Oh yes, of course. Just tired. And excited for tomorrow."

"Then I'll let you retire." He paused, and then, after a moment of hesitation, leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek, pulling back, his eyes burning into hers. "Goodnight Sutton."

"Goodnight," she breathed out when he'd left, and then flopped back onto the bed with a grin. Maybe he had called her a friend, but that kiss had felt more than a little friendly. 

She might have to go back to her pumpkins and mice soon, but damned if she wouldn't enjoy being a princess till then.