Ch. 15, The Ball

Sutton stared down at the ball from the top of the grand staircase. There was a live orchestra in the corner, people dancing and talking beneath a ceiling so full of lights and crystals it looked as if it had snowed inside. Seeing it all, she felt a deep, overwhelming sense of pride. Or maybe that was just her dress, a stunning blood-red creation that left her shoulders bare but cinched her waist so tight she could barely breathe. 

She didn't care. One look in the mirror and she'd felt like a princess. 

She stepped down the steps, slowly, taking it all in. Most of the women had descended on the very edge of the grand staircase, needing the handrail to help with their massive heels, but Marius hadn't thought to include shoes with the dress(Sutton supposed even royals weren't perfect). So instead, Sutton wore the only shoes she had brought besides her winter boots: her favorite pair of sneakers. The skirts were so voluminous that Sutton was sure no one would ever notice. 

And if anyone tried to rob the joint, Sutton would catch them in a flash. 

"Well, I have to admit, the ball was a success."

Sutton turned, surprised to see Marius's mother descending the staircase behind her. The compliment looked like as if physically pained her. Sutton dipped her head. "Thank you."

The countess narrowed her eyes, looking down at the dress, and Sutton sent up a prayer that her laser gaze couldn't see the shoes she was wearing. 

"Did my son pick that out?"

"Yes," Sutton said, wondering where this was going.

"He never did have much taste for fashion," The countess said, turning to look over the crowd. "But that dress isn't awful." Isn't awful... I'll take that as a compliment.

"I assume you're already making plans for the Valentines Day Ball here?" The countess said, pulling a pocket mirror from her dress. 

"I--umm-- am actually going back to the states... tomorrow."

"Nonsense. What's there that you can't find here?"

At that moment, Marius walked through the crowd, his face lighting up as he saw her. Sutton grinned, lifting a hand. The Countess snorted in a distinctly unlady like (or maybe uncountess like) way, and then rolled her eyes when Sutton turned to her in surprise. 

"Oh please, as if I can't tell he's completely in love with you. I am his mother after all." The Countess snapped her mirror shut, and without a backward glance left Sutton on the stairs, giving her son a quick air kiss before disappearing into the crowd.

"Sutton, are you alright? What did she say to you?" Marius looked worried.

"Oh, nothing," Sutton said, feeling just a tad bit dazed at what the Countess has just said... Did she actually approve of Sutton? And imply that she might be able to stay here? Sutton's heart tightened, instantly wanting to protect herself from believing that it might be true. It would hurt to much to learn otherwise.

But Marius was speaking again, or at least trying to. Sutton was surprised when he cleared his throat several times before speaking. 

"Is everything okay?" Sutton took another step down the staircase, suddenly concerned. 

"Yes, of course. It's just that I actually had something I wanted to ask you," he cleared his throat again, and then swallowed, before plunging ahead. "I know this is a lot to ask. And I know I haven't known you for long, and I know you could help from the states... but... well, see, there's a position open here, and I've grown... fond of our time together... and fond..." He stopped, taking a deep breath. "To be honest, I've grown fond of you. Would you perhaps consider staying?"

Sutton felt as if she couldn't breath all over again, or as if the sun was breaking through the clouds and shining only on her. 

"I would love to stay," Sutton whispered, but already her traitorous inner dialogue began to spin. Fond?! FOND?! As in a person is fond of their dog?

Sutton didn't have time to ask further what he meant, because Marius took her hand, a boy-ish smile coming over his face as he pulled her forward. 

"Come. I have something I want to show you." Together they wove through the crowds, and then into a back hallway Sutton hadn't been before. He pulled her down twisting castle hallways, full of people meandering in search of the Christmas Jewel (or just using it as an excuse to snoop through a castle), before they came to a window that overlooked the forest below. 

He pulled her right up to the window, and Sutton looked around, confused. Other than the view, she didn't see anything special about this particular nook in the castle, except maybe for it's privacy, and a ball of mistletoe hanging above. "What are we doing here?" Sutton asked, as he smiled at her expectantly.

"It's the kissing corner," he said. 

Sutton arched an eyebrow, her stomach doing a back flip. "The kissing corner?"

"According to my grandmother, a kiss under this mistletoe, in front of this window, brings good luck for seven years."

"Ahh, is this the same grandma who told you account the magic of the grandfather clock?" 

"The very same. She also believed trolls were trying to take over the castle, but that's another story," He grinned, and then took both of Sutton's hands in his own. "Do you notice anything different about the mistletoe?"

Sutton arched her head back. Now that she stood directly under the mistletoe, she saw what she hadn't seen before. There, gleaming and twinkling, was an emerald jewel the size of an acorn. 

"The Christmas Jewel..." Sutton gasped in surprise. "Why did he hide it here?"

Marius closed the space between them, and put one hand around her waist, pulling her closer. "Because this is the one place in the castle no one looks up." 

Then he leaned forward and kissed her, a kiss that swept through her, that was like every fairytale and every story she'd ever written, but better. 

And above them, completely forgotten, the Christmas Jewel twinkled.

THE END

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Thanks so much for reading! 

If you'd liked this story, feel free to check out my Watty winning story "The Last She", synopsis below:

A plague has swept over the Earth, killing the majority of the population and every female. Except one. Ara witnessed the horror and destruction, but for the last three years she has survived. Now, desperation and hunger force her out of the mountains and onto a dangerous path; across the flooded downtown and through the gangs of survivors is hope. Ara's father spoke of a clue that could save not just her, but humanity. Then she is captured by a group of men. Despite the seeming kindness of Kaden, a young man her own age, Ara doesn't know if she can trust them. Then again, there's no way she can cross the plague-ridden city on her own. Men. Monsters. Is there a difference? This is the story of The Last She.

Stay up to date to me by subscribing to my newsletter, which includes a free story for all new subscribers!

Finally, Have a wonderful and Merry Christmas, and thank you so much for reading!

-Hannah