CHAPTER 15- Family Matters

(10:32 am)

The boys just called, informing me they are on their way to the Birthing Center, and I received a short message from Stacy saying they were about an hour out.

I had been keeping a small secret from Emery, that I knew would make a big difference for her. I hunted down her 14-year-old sister, Stacy. Unfortunately, her mom and dad cut off all communication between them when they found out about the baby on the way.

So, thanks to my sleuthing skills, I discovered her Instagram, sending her a quick DM explaining how much I think it would mean to Emery to see her, as well as the fact that she could see her niece.

Stacy was shocked to find out that Emery was expecting. She explained that her parents told her she had gone overseas to a writing retreat.

That was the first time I found out that Emery liked to write, she never disclosed that information to me. 

After catching Stacy up on the situation, she was more than excited to see her older sister AND the newest member of the family. As soon as she asked her grandma to fly up with her, who was also oblivious to the situation, I bought them plane tickets and was excited for the day to come to surprise them.

Emery going into labor early through a wrench in our plans, and I had to go purchase a new set of tickets a couple of hours ago, thankfully they were able to still make it.

I gave myself a mini pat on the back knowing Em's grandma and sister would be here for her.

I knew that Emery had tried to reassure me on multiple occasions that she was fine without her sister or other family members, and that the situation was sucky, but it was what it was, and although I wanted to take her word for it, I've found her different times looking at family photos crying, so I knew it made some kind of impact.

Besides, Ella deserved to meet her aunt and great-grandma. Family is very important, and Ella gets the right to have them in her life.

 Emery had put Ella in a cute light pink onesie that said 'Hello!' 

"I just can't get over how precious she is. Some babies come out looking so bland, but she has the most beautiful ready model face." I heard Emery giggle. 

"I agree, we make some cute kids, wouldn't be against having more." I laughed out as a joke, but in all honesty, I really wouldn't mind having more with her.

"Too soon Seavy, too soon." She whisked her head back and forth.

We soon heard a knock on the door, I went over and slid the door open.

 "Hello. You're expecting a guest?" 

A lady different from Luna was standing at the door. Her face and attitude weren't as welcoming as the young girls were.

"Yup," I nodded.

 "Ok let me go get them." 

I thanked her, leaving the giant oak door open.

I walk back over to the bed where Emery was holding Ella, close to her chest, trying to sit up a bit. I figured that some of the pain was taken away with the Tylenol the midwife had previously given her.

"You excited to see the boys?" I ask her, trying to figure out her lack of enthusiasm. 

She shrugged, "I guess."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Eh, I don't know, just kind of sad that- well never mind, it's not important."