H.S. Flowers In His Hair - 24

But she said, where'd you wanna go? How much you wanna risk?

I don't fall asleep until the early hours of the morning. Harry's asthma attack scared me half to death. He used to get them all the time as a kid, and I'd always run to him with his inhaler. I even carried one on me all the time.

One of the things that bother me the most is they're always connected to a nightmare, which triggers a panic attack, and then his asthma kicks in. The question on my mind is, what is wrong? Is there something he's not telling me? Is he hiding something? 

I know that I don't know everything about Harry and his past; I can see the scars he still has. I don't care about that; I just want to know he'll be okay. There are things about me that I also yet haven't shared. 

We have forever to do that. I'm just afraid he's bottling it up, and now it's starting to spill over. Even if it's not on purpose, something is happening to him. I fall asleep eventually, dreaming of little children playing in a field, but I wake up tired and in an empty bed. 

I go downstairs after taking a shower and find everyone sitting at the dining table. I search for an indication of time and see it's past ten. I never sleep past eight. 

I sit next to Harry, and he pushes a plate in front of me, busy chewing on his food. "Morning, Sunshine." He whispers after he swallows. "Morning," I reply.

"Let you sleep; you were tossing and turning all night." He noticed, which means maybe he also didn't get much sleep. "How are you feeling?" I ask; I'm still concerned about last night. "Aching, but I'm okay." He says.

I lean back in my chair, folding my legs underneath me. "Rough night?" Amy asks me from across the table. "Yea, couldn't fall asleep," I answer vaguely.

"What are we doing today?" Mitch throws the question to the table. "We can go hiking?" Harry suggests. I look outside. The weather is warm here, for it is in the middle of November already. "Sounds good to me." 

***

We're about two miles into the hike when they start complaining. "We're musicians," Sarah says from a distance, sitting on a rock. "So are we!" Harry and I yell together. It sparks some laughter, and Elijah makes a point of telling Amy that this is what he meant yesterday.

"Not even he is as bad as you, and he's small." Harry sighs, pointing at Adam's kid, who's running in circles around Emi. 

"We'll go slower," I suggest to them. We track our way up the rocky path. It's a beautiful trail. Harry walks beside me. 

I look at him from the corner of my eye. His hair is in a bun. He's wearing a plain white shirt that's sticking to his back from the sweat it's accumulated. He's looking good right now. He winches with the next step he takes, rubbing at his chest.

"Harry." I knowledge him. "Just a little tight." He answers. I don't give a reply. We finally manage to get on top, what feels like years later. Everyone is very relieved when they see the top of the hill.

I throw the bag from my back, and Harry does the same. "Look at this sweets." He says, pouring some water into his mouth right after. He hands it to Mitch. I look around, making a three-sixty as I go. It's breathtaking. 

"Takes your breath away, doesn't it?" He asks, and I laugh because he's repeating my thoughts. "It does." I sit on one of the boulders. Taking in the quiet, birds chirp in the background, but that's the only noise for miles. 

"This was worth it," Elijah says after a while, and I hum in agreement. We spend some time on the hill, but the kids soon get tired, and we make our way back. Harry pulls my arm. "Stay a while longer with me?" Harry asks, and of course, I agree immediately.