03: pandemonium unveiled

CHAOS WAS ABOUND AMIDST THE SILENCE. Tonight, the entire kingdom lays silent, anxious with anticipation when the wind carries a message: the nine royal districts have been called for. The last time this happened, a terrible fate befell on the kingdom and the people live with its scar to this day. 

The seven moons rose high in the sky, tailed by the two moons each from the Cirasian district and Leraican district. By the time they all align and claw the sky, the courtroom begins to drown in chaos. 

The queen tries her best to bring back order, but peace seems forgotten with the emerging panic and anxiety choking the air. She's desperate to see what she's lost for twenty years, but she's wise enough to know, this won't resolve their dispute. 

Gratefully, for her, silence dawned in the court upon the entry of the royal knight. Clad in silver and holding the sword of Azara, he walks in bringing the attention of everyone in the court to him.

It isn't his first time walking down the courtroom. He doesn't need to look to his sides to notice the mayors seated beneath pictures of long gone kings and queens. It doesn't take him a glance to realize, the room was stripped off from its silver luster and replaced with nine shades of ivory, each represented by the nine districts. 

His eyes remain fixated on the throne at the end of his path and the queen he serves. She radiates a strong aura with the crimson red gown she wears and the crown of Azyla, the queen who once sealed the kingdom from the third world. The knight doesn't fail to notice the panic his highness has swirling in her eyes, neither does he forget his own anxiety crippling inside. 

He senses the perturbation behind the silence, the heaviness weighing down the atmosphere. 

"Your majesty." The knight bows, garnering the attention of all the royals. 

"V," The queen asks, "what is our stance?" 

"We've located her highness and have asked the seven witches to prepare the portal. They wait for the nine moons to align before they can begin." 

Silent whispers float in the room, anticipation enigmatic amongst the many eyes fixed on the queen. She takes a deep breath, closing her eyes before standing - the ministers mirroring her actions - and the apprehension in the room augments with her words. 

"Then it's time we begin." 

C H A P T E R 0 3 

She holds the picture firmly in her hand, not realizing she has been staring at it for almost an hour. Zeila doesn't put herself through the pain of thoughts - she merely switches it off to hold herself - and she saves herself from the lightning of reminiscence.

It was never sweet to her, no matter how hard she wished it would sweeten her mind, it always left her with a bitter and broken heart. Zeila doesn't bother to wipe her tears staining the picture. 

She lays in front of her door, ignoring Jungkook calling her. She doesn't gather the strength to send him away, nor does she have the courage to face him. 

So she looks at the picture - Taehyung, Jungkook, Minjee and her - the last memory of a life she could never have again. 

The combusum of ignoring her past finally weighs down her, and all Zeila does is cry her heart out, wail with silent sobs and pray this was a dream.