Chapter Twenty Six: Storm Chaser

When Keiji returns to work the day after Christmas, Konoha is waiting for him. There's a brief standoff as he eyes Keiji, and Keiji keeps his face carefully blank.

"So," Konoha prompts after a moment of silence. "Should I offer my congratulations or my condolences?"

Keiji fiddles with his fingers and quietly admits, "Bokuto-san and I are dating now."

Konoha smirks. "Question still stands."

"Fuck you, Konoha-san."

He cackles, then his face gets softer, serious. "Really though, I'm glad you two worked it out. I've never seen either of you happier than you have been these last few months."

Keiji is about to say something like thank you for your help or I appreciate your support when Konoha goes on to add, "So, you know, good job on not being an emotionally constipated asshole anymore."

And Keiji makes a face and deletes all the nice things he was going to say from his memory. "I truly hate you."

After Keiji's shift he goes home to eat dinner with Bokuto, then the two of them return to Early Bird for the holiday party.

The coffeeshop is closed now, so they have to knock on the glass of the front door and wait for Konoha to let them in. Konoha only offers Keiji a quick nod since they spent the afternoon working together, but Bokuto gets a more elaborate greeting. A much more elaborate greeting.

Keiji watches in amusement as they do a complicated handshake routine that involves no less than two minutes of choreographed hand motions, fist bumps, and hip checks. They've barely finished when there's another knock on the door, and Konoha has to go let in the newest arrivals.

Keiji quirks an eyebrow at Bokuto. "What was that?"

"Wasn't it cool?" Bokuto grins. "It's the secret handshake for our high school team! Didja know me and Akinori used to play volleyball together?"

Keiji vaguely remembers Konoha mentioning that he played in high school. He never put much thought into it before, but it makes sense that's how he met Bokuto. "I didn't realize you've known him that long."

"Yep! Since our first year at Fukuroudani! We were in the same class, too!"

Fukuroudani. The name triggers a memory.

"I almost went there," Keiji says as he realizes.

"What!?" Bokuto yelps. "Really?"

Keiji hums. "I even received a recommendation. Though I ended up attending a different school, obviously."

"Oh man! That's so unfair!" Bokuto complains.

"Unfair?"

"I could've met you way sooner!" He lets out a dramatic gasp. "We could've played volleyball together!"

Keiji smiles, amused at his reaction. "I quit after middle school."

"I would've convinced you," Bokuto says fiercely.

And normally Keiji would reply with a flat unlikely, but he's in a good mood, so he decides to give Bokuto the truth instead.

"Probably."

Bokuto grins and Keiji has to look away because he's brighter than the fucking sun.

"Come on," Keiji says, motioning to where cookies, pastries, and other baked goods are laid out on the counter. "I promised you dessert, didn't I?"

"Oooh!"

They grab plates and browse through the selection, Keiji choosing his favorite coffee cake while Bokuto stacks his plate impossibly high with treats like his goal is to eat one of each.