Chapter 18

The game ended at 3-1 to Liverpool following a great performance from the Reds at home in Anfield. Fans started to leave the stadium as the game ended and the boys congratulated each other on the field for a well deserved win.

Emily remained sat in her seat and watched as her brother smiled and congratulated his fellow teammates and received praise from both the opposition and Klopp himself.

Once the whistle blew at the end of the game, the adrenaline seemed to leave Neco's body as he started to walk towards the tunnel casually taking the compliments for his great performance as he did.

Emily knew that family members of the team would be present in the tunnel but she also knew that's where she had to go if she was going to ever take any sort of action.

Mason's words rung through her head as she started to walk towards the tunnel and mentally prepared herself for what might happen next.

The brunette girl entered the tunnel just as the dressing room door opened and member of the team joined their various family members.

She watched as her brother approached his wife and kids, hugging them all as he kissed Rachel before grabbing his two kids in his arms.

And just like that, Emily's return was announced to her friends and family as the voice of her nephew called out to the teenager as he noticed her over his father's shoulder.

"Aunt Emmy." Rocco called out causing everyone's eyes to land on her. The little boy was quick to squirm his way out of his father's arms and onto the ground before running forward and launching himself into her arms.

"Hey bubs." Emily smiled as she hugged the little boy closer to her. She had only been gone a few days but the hug made her realise how much she missed her life in Liverpool and everyone that came with it.

"You're back?" Andy questioned his sister as he approached her. Emily shifted her nephew onto her left hip before turning back to look at her older brother next to her.

"Yeh, I'm back. I'm sorry for running off. I just needed to clear my head." Emily answered in reply to the defender.

The youngest Robertson's words caused Neco to frown as a feeling of deep regret rose through his body before adjusting the bag strap on his shoulder and leaving. Everyone's attention turned to the young Academy graduate as he left. Guilt was a feeling Neco experienced as he walked away trying to brush the thoughts of Emily and Mason from his mind.

"I'll be back." Emily spoke as she handed Rocco over to her brother before weaving through people in the tunnel and heading in the same direction Neco had previously.

——————————

Outside Anfield stood the young Welsh National footballer leaning against the wall of the stadium as he dropped his football bag onto the ground next to him. The last thing he had expected after the game was to see Emily back in Liverpool today and at Anfield too.

Thoughts began to consume his mind. Thoughts of when he and Emily used to be together and even the times before that when he spent his days flirting with her daily in the hope of something coming from it. And when it did, he threw it all away. He had everything he ever wanted, the girl of his dreams, a spot in Liverpool's first team squad and an amazing life with great friends and family.

But in the end it was his own insecurities that caused in relationship to end and he pushed Emily right back into the arms of Mason Mount, her ex boyfriend and talented Chelsea midfielder. It was things like that that made Neco feel like he wasn't good enough for the young Robertson girl, she dated people like Mason in the past. A rich, successful, talented, good looking, first team starter for a big Premier League club, guy.

"Hey." The sound of Emily's soft voice caught his attention and cut him off from his train of thought as he lifted his head from looking at the ground so his eyes rests on her.

"Hey." He replied softly as she stopped in front of him.

"I'm sorry." The pair of teenagers said at the exact same time causing them both to laugh slightly at themselves.

"I'll go first." Emily spoke. "I'm sorry for everything. The way I was about Anna and Curtis, our argument after James' gala and everything in between. You didn't deserve that and I'm sorry."

"So am I. You were right by the way, Curtis and Anna broke up while you were away." Neco informed her although at this moment in time she didn't care about being right. "And I'm also sorry for how I reacted the night of James's gala. I shouldn't have said those things to you."

"So, we're both idiots who regret what we did." Emily pointed out as she smiled with Neco smiling back at her. "The question is, is there anything left to rebuild?"

"Does that mean you didn't get back together with Mason?" Neco questioned in confusion at the article he had been shown by Trent at training the other day.

"What possibly gave you that idea?" Emily replied feeling as confused as the footballer in front of her.

Neco bent down and retrieved his phone from the black bag on the ground and searched online for the article which he quickly found after searching Mason's name.

"Oh my god." Emily laughed as she looked at the phone in her hand that showed the article and a picture of herself and Mason after exiting the cafe the other day after Mason gave her advice. "This is not what you think. The reason I went to London was because Mason was the only person who could answer my question."

"What question was that?" Neco asked the Robertson girl.

"Why I wasn't I good enough for you." Emily said in reply.

"Oh." Neco spoke in realisation as he knew she was talking about their argument after James' gala.

"Yeh. And on that trip I realised that I did the exact same thing to Mason that you did to me. And now I know why I did it to him but the question is, what did you do it to me?"

——————————