vii.

FOSTER CHILD | ACT ONE
scene seven: silent cell

ISLA NOTED that the jail cell was arguably a lot warmer than the rapid temperature outside when she was thrown inside the waiting cell. She smiled to herself when she saw Vincent muttering to himself cell as he played his thumbs with his entire face crinkled, his eyes set on the ground. Her smile was quickly replaced with a scowl as the memories from hours before came rushing back to her

Feeling a looming presence standing over him, Vincent fixed his gaze from the ground to Isla, his eyes hardening and following her as she reluctantly took a seat beside him, taking no notice of the rugged man who staggered in alongside her, a sombre expression plastered onto his face.

A spark of utter joy and relaxation shot up her spine as she sat down, content with the immense coolness of the seat. She scooted away from Vincent and leaned her head against the wall.

No one had spoken between the three of them, the cell filled with an awkward silence that nobody wanted to break. Scott noticed the little interaction between the two of them but he chose not to dwell on it as much as his mind was plagued with other things.

Like how on earth he had a whole other child that nobody seemed to inform him on.

His thoughts were interrupted by Paxton, who came over and leaned his back against the stone wall. Isla had recognised the man as he was the one who drove the two of them to the station.

"You know, you almost had us convinced that you were going to change your ways. They were really rooting for you." Paxton said, his voice laced with disappointment.

The two men turned to at each other. "It's gonna break their hearts."

Isla watched the two interact with keen eyes. Confused as to how Paxton and Scott knew each other. They both didn't have much in common, in fact, they seemed like polar opposites. Scott being a criminal and Paxton being a cop, they were on opposite sides of the law. There was no reason for them to even know each other.

But then again Paxton did mention a 'they.' Isla thought, But 'they' could be anybody.

Isla shrugged the thought off, not wanting to let her mind dwell on the two men and instead took to counting the numbers of pi, a technique that helped her calm her down when she felt anxious or an activity she did when she was bored out of her mind. She had managed to count to the seven hundredth and forty-first number before, all in one sitting, but she hadn't managed to surpass the hundredth number without getting interrupted or forgetting.

Just when she reached the sixteenth number, a lanky man clad in striped came up to the bars and silently greeted Paxton before addressing Scott.

"You got a visitor." The detective said, wrapping his hand around the bar.

"Who?" Scott asked cynically.

"Your lawyer." The detective answered, keys jingling as he opened the cell door.

Scott crinkled his eyebrows, getting up from his seat. "My lawyer?"

With a brief glance to Isla, Scott left the room, guided by the detective.

Isla grumbled, he dark, heavy cloud over her head got lighter as Scott trailed behind the detective, leaving the cell, however it still loomed and had no sign of leaving until Vincent did too.

The cell slipped back into silence, neither relative wanting to speak to each other. The words spoken between the both of them were still raw. Isla secretly wanted to apologise to the man but her pride made her hold her tongue. She went back to counting pi in hopes of passing at least the fiftieth number.

Vincent watched the girl from the corner of his eye, not wanting to look at her fully in case it sparked another full-blown argument. He had done some thinking when he had earlier sat in the holding cell alone two hours ago and he came to that he did not need to apologise to Isla and that he wasn't going to talk to her, let alone acknowledge her until she apologised.

Isla groaned when she seen Paxton coming back around the corner, headed straight for the cell they were in.

"C'mon kiddo, your social worker's waiting for you outside."

Isla jumped up out of her seat, moping internally as she followed Paxton out of the cell into the entrance with her head down. Waves of anxiety were piling and crashed onto her with each step she took, she felt her breaths becoming shorter, the overwhelming feeling of dread for the inevitable drowning her. She felt Paxton leave her side, most likely to run off and check up on Scott seeming as they were buddies.

She looked down at her social workers' feet and immediately took notice to the lack of tan tights that Ms Vane wore every single day without fail. Not to mention the sudden change in footwear. Ms Vane was always on her feet so she tended to stick with flats, never heels. Heels were never an option, Isla remembered Ms Vane telling her that once.

Isla's head snapped up to look at the impostor. Isla was not surprised to see that her beloved Ms Vane was a mid-thirty-year-old woman, a disdained look waxed onto her with a dreadful bob and a fringe, but she was still shocked none the less.

"Who are you?" She asked terror-stricken, her anxiety increasing more and more as the sirens whirred about in the police station.

The woman ignored Isla, grabbing the girl by her forearm and dragging her out of the police station. Isla thrashed around, her anxiety reaching interstellar level.

"Who are you?!" She asked again, more frantically this time.

She couldn't help but feel anxious. This wasn't her first time
being kidnapped, she had been kidnapped shortly after her mother's death. She hadn't remembered much from it, but she definitely remembered the feeling of the chloroform being forced onto her for a few minutes.

This time, however, her kidnapper took a whole new approach, wrapping her arms around Isla's neck all while holding chloroform for her nose as she guided them down the street, steering clear from all the police officers and cars that were spilling out of the building.

Isla clawed at the woman's hands, struggling to pull the woman off of her. The world around her began to mesh into hazy lines of red and blue lights as she felt her consciousness slip away from her.

"Hope." was the last thing Isla heard before she fell into a forceful slumber.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

AUTHORS NOTE

hehe, extremely short chapter I know! I've just been so busy with family this Christmas but there all gone and I've gotten all my schoolwork done so I should be free to upload every two days

I plan to have this arc finished by January because I just want to get into the peter parker dynamic so badly;-;

anyways! I hoped you enjoyed this chapter don't forget to comment and vote and I'll see you all next chapter!