Chapter 15 - Kissing in the Rain

The day of the Winter Dance Charlie still wasn't even sure if she wanted to go. Yes, she had a super cute dress. It was short and silver and sparkly. Yes, she had friends to go with. But she was still so bummed over everything with Nick that she seemed to stay in a perpetually bad mood. She stood in front of Taylor's vanity in her bedroom, perfecting the high ponytail she had slicked her long blonde hair into.

"Let's go!" Taylor grabbed her hand, dragging her away from the mirror and out to the car. Taylor's mom was driving Taylor, Charlie, Alex, Jessica, and Rachel to the dance together. Charlie's friendship with Jessica felt mostly like they tolerated each other for the sake of their other friends, but they managed to be nice. Rachel and Charlie on the other hand had started getting along right after Homecoming. Since they came from somewhat similar backgrounds, they could relate to each other on a lot of stuff, tough family issues being some of them. Charlie usually kept that information pretty close to the vest. She didn't tell anyone, but there was a reason why Taylor's mom was practically her second mom. She had even spent Christmas with Taylor and her family last year because things were too hectic at home.

"So Rachel, are you and Michael a thing yet?" Taylor asked. Michael was the cute JV football player who was runner-up choice for Sophomore Homecoming Prince. He had asked to take Rachel to Homecoming after she won Princess.

Rachel blushed. "I don't know, maybe?"

The girls squealed in excitement for her. He was definitely one of the cutest boys in their class.

"What about you, Alex and Jessica, who do you have your eye on tonight?" Taylor asked. She was obviously going to spend the whole night with Tim, who was still her boyfriend, but she liked to live vicariously through others.

Jessica just shrugged. She wasn't really a good sharer, which was fine with Charlie. She could care less who Jessica was into.

"I'm not even going for the boys, I just like to dance!" Alex said, shimmying in her seat. She could salsa circles around all the other girls.

Soon they arrived, and they all piled out of the car outside the school. From the looks that came their way, it was obvious that the party was just getting started now that they were there. Charlie let the feeling of being a part of the in-crowd wash over her. It was something she had worked pretty hard for, obviously. After all those years of being left out, she was finally in. Even a breakup couldn't ruin this feeling for her.

"We're here babe!" Taylor announced to Tim when he answered the phone. Tim said something that made Taylor quickly flick her eyes to Charlie, but all she said in return was, "Ok, sounds good!"

"What?" Charlie asked her immediately.

"Don't freak out, but Tim came with Nick, so he's going to be... around," Taylor said carefully.

Charlie felt her stomach bunch up into a bundle of nerves. So much for the breakup not ruining her night. "Oh my god, seriously?"

"Don't worry, we'll all be together in a big group! It won't be awkward," Alex said, grabbing her arm to steady her.

Charlie leaned on her. "Whatever you do, don't leave me."

"I won't!" Alex promised, but Charlie knew the second she got inside the gym and heard the music, she would be off to the races.

Tim came out of the gym with Nick in tow, as well as a few other Sophomore guys like Xander and John. When she made eye contact with Nick, he nodded at her, but that was it. Both Xander and John, who had stopped being nice to her after she broke up with Nick, didn't even bother to say hi. It was cold outside tonight, but that interaction made it feel about 10 degrees colder.