Chapter 10 - Serious Vibes

Sixth period that day was replaced by the Homecoming pep rally. Charlie met Nick, who was waiting for her outside her class, and they walked hand in hand toward the gym. Taylor joined them on the way, because Tim was already there getting ready for the rally. The whole Homecoming Court, Freshman through Seniors, were going to be paraded out in some weird ceremonial fashion once things got started.

They walked around the gym to take the back entrance, because everyone was gathered around the front, and they were taking forever to get inside through the one small door. Taylor laughed at something Nick said as they rounded the corner. Charlie looked up and realized right then that the back entrance of the gym was where the entire Homecoming Court were waiting. Everyone turned and looked their way. Of course, Charlie immediately made eye contact with Cassius. Cassius then looked at her hand, and she suddenly remembered she was still holding hands with Nick. Her first urge was to rip her hand away, but realizing that would be ridiculous, she did not.

"Hey guys, go Sharks!" Nick said sarcastically, referring to the Saint Peters mascot, as he walked her past them all through the back door.

Taylor blew Tim a kiss as she walked by. Charlie dragged her eyes away from Cassius, only to make eye contact with Tony, which was worse, so she just looked down until she was inside the gym, safely away from the awkwardness. Was she imagining it, or did Cassius look disappointed?

Nick let go of her hand to go find his other friends. After he walked away Taylor grabbed her arm, and they walked up the bleachers to grab a seat.

"So what was THAT about?" Taylor asked her.

"I don't know, what?" she played dumb.

Taylor narrowed her eyes. "Uh, there are serious VIBES between you and Cassius Green, and you know it."

"Was it that obvious?" Charlie bit her lip. What if Nick noticed?

Reading her mind, Taylor reassured her. "No, it wasn't, but it was to me. Do you like him? What about your new boyfriend? Who do you like more?"

Charlie wasn't sure how to answer. "I like them differently, I think? I don't know I've never had to deal with this situation before!"

Taylor leaned back into her seat. "Girl you're in trouble."

"Don't I know it," Charlie said, just as the pep rally started.

The music started playing, and the Principal's voice came through the speaker to introduce the court as they walked out. The whole thing seemed silly and awkward, but Charlie still really wished it was her up there. She watched as Seniors Jake Michaels and Clare Bates were announced as the Homecoming King and Queen.

She looked around for Nick and saw him heading up the bleachers to sit with her. When she caught his eye, he winked, and she laughed. He slid into the seat next to her, put his arm over her shoulder, and kissed her on the cheek. He made her feel good. That's what you wanted in a boyfriend, right?

Nick was turning out to be a really sweet guy. Charlie had no idea what kind of guy Cassius was. They had spoken all of three words to each other. Of course she liked Nick better than him. Of course she did. 

Right?