14.

"Hello, Mr. Geneo. I am doing well, thank you. And, you?" Mr. Geneo was the unlucky Social Services worker that was in charge of me. He was an unpleasant man, with a round face and body, slicked-back brown hair with a bald spot in the middle, and a complete lack of social skills. He hated people, especially kids. I'm constantly astounded by how he's kept his job for 15 years.

"I'm fine. Where is Annie?" He replied in his slightly high-pitched voice. I hesitated. What can I say that won't get me into trouble?

I can't say the truth, that she is out with her boyfriend, and left me in charge for the last hour, like usual. I would be taken away faster than I could get my stuff.

"She had to run an errand. She should be back soon. Please, come sit. There is room in our music section." I hope that is a good enough lie. I am pretty good at faking things, since I've been practicing for years. Even so, I hope leaving for a few minutes won't get me sent out again.

Who is that? I discreetly read the text I just got from Lenny. I mentally groaned. What can I tell him?

I'm sorry, this will only be a minute. It has to do with ownership stuff. I replied quickly, making my way to Mr. Geneo. I hope he thinks it's about the store.

"How is the store doing, Charlotte?" My SS worker asked. Why can't you say Charlie, like everyone else? I picked that nickname so I wouldn't sound old!

"It's doing well. We dropped a little in business, but we are recovering easily." Thank you, Brent Johnson.

"Who is that boy waiting in the front?" I faltered again. What should I say? If I say we had a deal, we will get a poor conduct fine, due to not paying our "employees", and I don't have that kind of money.

"He's a part time worker. Helps out every so often. We hired him a few days ago." I checked my phone to see if Annie texted me, which, of course, Mr. G saw.

"Is anything wrong? If you are done being impolite, I have some matters to discuss." His sharp voice sneered.

"Nothing is wrong. I just wanted to make sure Annie knew that I wanted something from the store. What kind of matters are there to discuss?"

"I need to complete a house inspection by Friday. Since today is Wednesday, I will come by tomorrow or Friday. Tell Annie that an inspector will be by."

"Can I text her really fast, to tell her?" Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes.

"If you must." He looked grumpier than normal, which made me slightly happy. Is that a bad thing?

I quickly texted Annie. Where are you? G is here, and so is a friend. BTW, it's inspection time. I anxiously waited for her to reply.

Crap. On my way. Keep him busy. Only 5-7 more minutes. I sighed. This will be fun.

We talked about how the store was doing, and whether it was making enough funds to carry on, and support us. I was supporting my store, while he was trying to come up with things that could get me moved. He just wanted to see me be miserable again.

"Will you excuse me for a second? I have to give him another job." I explained, motioning towards Lenny.

"Go. I will wait here."
=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=
Sorry it's poop. I couldn't keep writing Mr. Geneo (pronounced Jen-AY-oh), because I hate him. And I'm sorry this wasn't updated earlier. I fell asleep.