Chapter 13

Chris pointed out to the airport, there standing in front of the door was a hellhound. A woman was holding a leash which connected around the collar, saying "Mrs O'Leary" and she seemed not to notice that she was holding a giant hellhound.

Percy whistled, "Hey Girl." Chris stared at him like he was crazy.

"What? She's my friend." Percy defended himself, "She's friendly."

Mrs O'Leary snapped her head in their direction and barked happily, she tried to come over, only to be held back by the leash, whimpering at the woman holding him."

"I think we need to worry about the woman." Percy muttered.

"Perseus Jackson." She grinned, slowly moving towards them.

"I am Keres, and I have a surprise for you." She smirked knowingly before disappearing.

Mrs O'Leary bounded towards them, before suddenly freezing and then disappearing.

"Mrs O'Leary!" Percy cried as he tried to lunge forward, only to be held back by Clarisse.

"It's a trap." She hissed.

They were about to step into the air port when they saw a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt, sandals and sunglasses walking towards them.

"Father." Percy stared open-mouthed at his father, Lord of the Sea, Poseidon.

"Percy," Poseidon's voice cracked for a second, "I'm afraid I have some grim news for you."

Percy's smile disappeared, "What happened?" He frowned, his father's eyes were dark and stormy.

"Sally..." Poseidon seemed to choke on the name.

"My mother, is she okay?" He asked, suddenly feeling like he didn't want to hear it anymore.

"She... She's dead." Poseidon croaked and then visible tears flowed down, "I'm sorry Percy, I... I didn't protect her. Forgive me."

Percy just stared at his father before him, just like a mortal, broken from the loss of his beloved, "Mom... Mom is dead?"

Poseidon nodded.

"How?" Percy seemed lost in space, he hasn't completely registered what he has just been told.

"He was killed by a demigod named James." Poseidon cried even harder. "I was dropping by, wanting to tell her that you are on a quest, no one answered the door, and when I walked in, there was Sally, sitting on a chair, staring into space. But, James, he's your half-brother."

"My half-brother killed my mom?" Percy asked incredulously. Water started swirling around him. Poseidon snapped his fingers, transporting him to the beach, not wanting to hurt the mortals in the airport.

"Yes, and your... your half-brother is helping Diana. You must find her and convince her to stop what she's doing. Others would get hurt."

"She told my half-brother to kill my mother and the gods are asking me to go and ask her nicely?" Percy growled.

Poseidon teleported away, he knew Percy needed some time to calm down.

The water from the sea swirled furiously, soon, the water was smashing against the beach.

"Percy?" The Daughter of Athena asked, Poseidon asked her to help calm Percy down, after all, they still had a quest.

The water instantly calmed when Percy saw the frightened look in Annabeth's eyes.

"Leave me alone." He said gruffly, the tears now coming down in streams.

"Percy, I..." Annabeth moved closer.

"Go. Annabeth, I need some time." Percy said, looking out at the ocean.

Annabeth ignored him and walked closer. "I loved Sally too. She... she was like my mother. I'm sorry, but we need to find Diana, if she recruited a Son of Poseidon, she could have found many more. Think of us like the scout. I might be another war. We are finding the other army, if needed, we would fight and you get your revenge."

"Annabeth, I love you, I really do, but don't you see what the campers think? They look at me like a hero, like a god. I... I just want to be a normal teenager! The only ones who treat me the same was you, Luke, Thalia, Nico and Jason. Even Frank seems a bit scared of me. Out of the ones I trust, 3... 3 of them are the same as me, children of the Big Three, one... one betrayed Olympus but he was the final hero. Zoe, she died because of me, and so many more, Bianca, Silena, Charlies, and so many others. And now my mother, I wasn't there to save them." 

Percy started crying openly now. 

"I hate this world, I hate Kronos, I hate Gaia. Why couldn't we have some peace? There were so many generations of heroes, why us? Why now? Is a Titan War and defeating Gaia not enough? Is living through Tartarus not enough? I wish I could just go to Alaska and leave this life behind. I always wanted to go with you and my mother, just live a normal life for a few days. Enjoy it. Now... We have another war on the horizon, my mother is dead and everyone views me as someone too powerful to be friends with... Annabeth, please, promise that you would never leave me and you would stay with me. Please."

"I..." Annabeth was momentarily thrown off guard, she didn't expect Percy to sudden ask her a question.

"I see." Percy's voice was suddenly cold, "Even you is no exception." He stepped into the sea and disappeared.

"Percy, wait!" Annabeth cried, "I love you."