Ch. 11 | Chinatown

🥷

Talia did not see the boy she bumped into again. She thought she would have at least seen him lingering around the hallways, but it was like he had fallen off the face of the earth.

Pushing that aside, Talia was grateful to have gained two new friends. It had always been just her and April, so knowing her friend circle was expanding, even if it was just by a little bit, was something that made her day. The more the merrier.

Once school had ended, Talia had made up her mind that she was going to the library today to use their computers. Just about anything or anyone could be searched on the Internet, so there was a chance that she could find more information pertaining The Foot Clan. Or at least find something similar.

She reunited with April at the school's entrance, where hundreds of students regrouped with their friends or were waiting for the bus. The first day of school was always a pain for both entering and exiting.

"I've got some good news, Taly!" April announced as soon as the two got together. "You know the friend I mentioned who would check out the envelope? Well, he just got back to me. Turns out, he analyzed right down to the molecular level and found traces of lead paint mixed with ingredients found in fortune cookies. Weird, right? So he did his magic on his keyboard and crossed-examined to see if there were any restaurants or factories built before 1978 that sold fortune cookies. Based on the chemical compositions, he got one hit: The Fortune Cookie Factory in Chinatown."

Talia could not help but arch an eyebrow. "All the way over there?"

"It makes kinda sense. Chinatown is known for being the birthplace of some very notorious gangs. Maybe it's a long stretch, but there might be someone there who might've possibly heard about The Foot."

It was highly unlikely, but Talia was willing to take it. "We can go after the library. Tell your friend that he has been very helpful."

"Oh, I forgot to mention that he's Mikey's older brother! That's how I was able to get him to the favor. His name is Donatello."

The gears in Talia's brain screeched to a halt. She then remembered the guy she met at the library— the one who went by 'Donnie.' Having a strong hunch, she asked, "By any chance does he go by the nickname 'Donnie'?"

"Uh-huh. Why?"

"Because I met him the last time I went to the library."

Surprise slapped April's face. "You did? What did you guys talk about?"

"Just about books. Of all the times I have went to the library, not once did I see him. You did not tell him on whose behalf you called in for the favor, right?"

"Of course not. He would've figured out what he was getting himself into and would ruin the whole secret aspect of our off-the-books investigation. It's better for him to believe that he analyzed an ordinary envelope instead of some ancient ninja's clan calling card."

Talia acknowledged what her friend said. April was right. If the Foot Clan was behind this (which, she had strong reason to believe they were), she did not want to put an innocent civilian at risk just for unknowingly helping her reach one step closer to finding them.

It was just a shame she would never get to tell him how much of a great lead he gave them.

***