Chapter 13: Unknown

Minji hadn't said much all through dinner the night before. Jin and Namjoon kept a close eye on her, but neither of them questioned her odd behavior or asked her about why she was frantically searching the house. After dinner, she excused herself, dragging her feet to her room before she buried herself under the covers, pulling them closer to her body as she curled up into a ball. She cried herself to sleep into the early hours of the morning.

A small clattering causes Minji to stir in her sleep, springing from her bed as her eyes quickly scan the room. The glimmer of hope is distinguished when Namjoon offers her a sheepish smile, apologizing for waking her up.

"I just wanted to let you know breakfast is ready," he says, noticing the way her shoulders slump as she bows her head, staring at her hands while a stray tear slips onto her finger. Namjoon rushes to her side, eyebrows furrowed in concern as he wraps his arms around her. "Shh, it's okay," he mumbles, soothingly rubbing her back while she snuggles further into his hold.

Namjoon gently rocks them back and forth, glancing up at the door when he hears a creak from the hall. Jin worriedly looks at Minji before his gaze settles on his brother, who's expression mirrors his own.

"Minie," Jin calls, entering the room before taking a seat on the edge of her bed, his hand gently stroking her hair as she pulls away from Namjoon. Her puffy eyes stare into her eldest brother's, a sight that causes his heart to crack slightly since he wishes he knew what he could do to fix it. "What's going on?" he questions.

A small sob escapes her lips as she shakes her head, words failing her as she feels her breathing pick up, her chest heaving as she gasps for air. Both Namjoon and Jin are by her side in an instant, reaching for her hands as they both try to guide her through her breathing, but their voices are faint as she feels light-headed.

"Min, breathe, please," Namjoon pleads. "Minji, do you hear me? Listen to the sound of my voice, okay? Five things you see." Namjoon continues to talk, trying to get her to listen, but no response. Her body shudders as the sobs wrack her body.

Jin finally stands up before kneeling in front of her, hands resting on her face as he forces her to look at him. "Look at me Minji, focus," he gently speaks. Her eyes settle on his, trying her best to get oxygen coursing through her lungs. "Five things you see."

Her lip trembles as she closes her eyes, tears streaming down her face. She finally forces her eyes open, glancing around the room. "Y-you," she blubbers out, hiccupping slightly before her eyes shift to Namjoon, the concern etched on his features. "Joon. M-my alarm c-clock, the b-bed, my bac-backpack," she croaks out, trying to steady her breathing as Jin nods.

"Great, now four things you feel," he presses.

"Y-your hands. They're re-really cold by the way," she grumbles, earning a small chuckle from both her brothers. "Joon's h-hands, my p-pajamas, the com-comforter," she replies. Both Namjoon and Jin seem to relax a bit, noticing the way her breathing is starting to even out.

"Three things you hear?" Namjoon chimes in this time, causing Minji to focus on him before a sad smile tugs on her lips.

"You and Jin," she replies, closing her eyes as she tries to pick up on a third sound, eyebrows furrowing as she hears faint chirping outside her window. "Birds," she mutters out, opening her eyes before glancing between her older brothers. "Thank you," she whispers, pulling Jin into a brief hug before turning to Namjoon to do the same.

She lets out a small sigh, wiping her cheeks before she pushes herself off the bed, turning around to face her brothers. "I'm s-sorry about worrying you, what with everything that happened yesterday-"