Chapter 18: Recovery

Taehyung maintains a strong composure as a serious expression rests on his soft features, his wounds still slowly healing from his accident. His grip on the wheelchair tightens as his mom pushes him further into the morose room while he braces himself for this moment. He refuses to let the tears fall as he glances around the bleak space, the room a stark contrast to the vibrant flowers that decorate the small enclosure. His gaze finally settles on his best friend's pale body, his heart tightening painfully as he tries to take a deep breath in an attempt to sooth the guilt that consumes him. This is all my fault.

After waking up from his coma in the early hours of the morning, Taehyung was initially confused about his surroundings. The last place he recalled being at was the office of Gradia Enterprises, where Minji lay bleeding on the floor. When his best friend popped into his mind, he immediately tried to get out of bed only to find himself immobilized and unable to speak. His mother, upon hearing the small shuffling and a groan, immediately sat up, a teary smile settling on her features before she rushed to get the doctors.

Taehyung couldn't understand how he was still alive, staring at his thin and frail form in shock as the doctor approached him. According to the man standing in front of him, after the nurses took him off the machines, Taehyung was still fighting to breathe on his own. The doctor also said there were signs of promise when they detected brain activity after they decided to run another CT scan afterwards.

It had been five days since he'd been awake, and Taehyung was slowly making progress with his recovery. The nurses who were assigned to his room helped him get mobility back in his limbs by doing daily stretches twice a day. He was going to need a lot of physical therapy in order to learn to walk again. The road ahead was going to be tough, but Taehyung was determined to get better.

He glances over at Jin, opening his mouth to say something, but the words don't come out. Taehyung huffs out in frustration, his voice failing him as he takes a deep breath, determined to try again.

"H-how... is... sh-she?" he manages to stutter out, the words slowly leaving his lips while Jin offers him a small smile.

"She's holding up," Jin replies, sniffling as he glances at his little sister. His hand still tightly clutches hers, afraid that she'll disappear if he lets go. "She's been sleeping a lot, but the doctors said that's expected due to the medicine they've given her for the pain. They also said she's lost a lot of blood, but the surgery went well. She's supposed to take it easy until the stitches heal," he discloses, earning a nod in response from Taehyung.

Jin lets out a shaky breath as he remembers the phone call he got from the hospital about his sister, instantly dreading having left both her and Namjoon in the first place. For the past five days, Jin had been beating himself up about it, wondering if he had stayed that night then maybe the circumstances would've turned out differently.

Taehyung's hands reach for the rubber wheels on the chair, struggling to push himself forward in order to get closer to the hospital bed. He hesitantly reaches his hand out towards Minji's, his skin gently touching hers before pulling away as she shifts slightly.

Minji's eyes flutter open, a lazy smile on her lips as she turns her head in Taehyung's direction, staring at her best friend while shakily offering her hand as he eagerly reaches for it.

"You're awake," she rasps, her brown eyes shimmering in delight as she stares at him. It all feels like a dream and Minji can't help but question whether this is real or not. Taehyung grins, a boxy smile gracing his lips as his hand tightens slightly in her hold, an unspoken confirmation that he's really there.

She tries to sit up in the bed, wincing slightly while Taehyung's eyebrows furrow, the worry evident on his handsome features as his eyes scan her form to see where the pain is coming from.