5

The next few weeks were uneventful. I got good grades, as normal. Snape talked to me even less. Slughorn talked to me even more. Harry and I kept our distance while doing our best to be normal.

I did, however, finally see what was making Hermione so weird. She had the biggest crush on Ron. I think it went beyond crush too, she really liked him. Only he was stupid and said all the wrong things and I was so sure that one day I truly thought I saw her reevaluating her life choices. I did too, to be perfectly honest.

Ron was a sweet boy. Funny sometimes and clumsy. But he always meant well and he always, always had such a gorgeous heart. They would have been an amazing couple if they just you know... talked to each other.

Harry had wanted to go to Hogsmead but by the time we planned to go, the snow had fallen and I was deep in my extra classes with Snape. Luckily however I didn't have one with him but Dumbledore wanted to see me that morning.

I told them I would meet them there and I went ahead to Dumbledore's office. He was staring into a book when I was let in and at first, I swore he didn't know I was there.

"Uh-"

"Shh." He snapped, his eyes scanning the pages quickly. "Alright." he stood up and looked at me. "Good morning Miss Malfoy. Would you like some tea?"

"Um, I'm alright thanks. You wanted to see me about something." I reminded him.

"Right, yes! Have a seat." Dumbledore motioned to one of the chairs at his desk before sitting in one himself.

I sat quickly, putting my hands in my lap, wondering what this could be about.

"I hear you're a remarkable student." He said abruptly.

"Oh, thank you. It's a piece of cake really." I giggled nervously.

"Nonsense, you're very bright." Dumbledore waved it off.

"Thank you." I repeated.

"I've also become informed of your skill with wandless magic."

My heart skipped a beat and I knew lying was worthless so I gave in.

"Yes... It's something I've been practicing on and off when I have a moment."

"Could you show me?" He asked.

"Well... no?" I frowned. "It's not that easy to turn on and off. I find on really good days it's easier to control and on bad days as well."

"Ah, comes with emotion." Dumbledore nodded, understanding. "Well no fuss!"

"Is that all you wanted to see me for, Professor?"

"No." Dumbledore's voice turned serious and I leaned in a little, hoping he would rip it off like a band-aid. "I am urging you to be careful. I know things are tough, and I know you're out of place. I just want you to remember who you are."

"A Malfoy?" I shrugged, trying to catch the meaning.

"Not your family status. But who you are. Think about it. It'll steer you in the right direction." Dumbledore said.

I nodded.

"This came for you." Dumbledore pulled out an envelope and handed it to me.

My name was written on the front in an edgey cursive I wasn't familiar with.

"Why didn't my owl just give it to me like normal?" I frowned.

"I figured you would want this away from prying eyes."

Such a strange man...

"Alright, go enjoy the rest of your day Miss Malfoy." He smiled softly.

I got up quickly, thanking him under my breath. That was the weirdest conversation I ever had with the man and one of the only ones as well. But I couldn't get what he said out of my head.