Chapter 48: Tunelling

Since the mission had ended and new tasks were brought forward, Jess took it upon herself to take the "team leader" comment Miles made seriously. Jess had taken responsibility for making dinner every night and cleaning up afterward, cleaning the living room, and doing other heroic tasks, like paper work.

It was two days before the New Year, and Jess was hardly excited about her upcoming birthday. Between getting Christina, Savannah, and Oliver's paper work done, getting the living situation straightened out, trying to keep up with house chores and herself in general, turning fifteen was the least of her worries.

"Jessie-bell?" Christina came into their shared room. Since the girls had come, Jess had a bunk bed installed, and Christina flopped onto the bottom bunk. "What are you doing?"

"Paper work. Do you guys have any allergies?" Jess said, adjusting her glasses and highlighting on the page.

"I'm allergic to shell fish, and Savannah is allergic to honey. Do you want to come downstairs? Miles and Oliver brought us macaroons."

Jess shook her head no, "Eh, I'm not hungry. Besides, I've got too much work to do. Enrolling you guys means twenty pages of paperwork."

"Twenty pages?"

"Each." Jess nodded, "But you should go enjoy, I'm on page seven right now so I should be done soon."

Christina tipped her head, "You sure Buttercup?"

Jess nodded once again before pushing her a bit, "Yeah yeah, I'm fine! Now go, enjoy the macaroons for me!" Jess closed the door behind Christina, took a breath, and sat back down.

Do do do do do do-do-do-do!

Jess ignored the ring tone her phone was making for the seventh time, she knew it was likely her sisters asking for her birthday plans, but she didn't respond because she simply didn't have a response. There was too much work to do to even think about having a party or doing much of anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Ding!

Amadeus picked up his phone, it was a text from Juliette.

Juliette: Cho, do you know what Jess wants to do for her birthday? We've been texting but she hasn't responded.
Cho: not sure, she likes parties, but I can ask her if you want?

Just as he hit send, his phone rang.
"Hey Jax? Whats up?" Amadeus had gotten a call from the second eldest triplet while he was downstairs eating macaroons and talking to the other house mates.

"Huh? No, I don't think anything's wrong with her phone. Yeah she's awake, Christina was just talking to her." Cho was confused as Jax continued talking, apparently Jess hadn't answered her phone in the past two days, no texts, calls, nothing. "Hi Jade- oh, okay. Hang on one sec."

Amadeus clicked some buttons on his phone, "Guys, come here." He, Oliver, Savannah, Christina, and Miles all stood around a phone. "Jade, you're on speaker."

"Yeah, so Jess isn't answering her phone or texts. Have any of you in the house noticed anything up with her? Not eating or being less social?" Jade sounded worried, but also like this was something familiar.

"I don't think I've actually seen Jess out of her room too much since the mission actually." Miles pointed out.

Christina nodded, "Yeah, I just asked her to come down for macaroons, she said she wasn't hungry."

Savannah looked confused, "Have any of you guys actually seen Jess eat anything much in the past couple days?"

They all thought really hard, tracking Jess' eating habits. "I saw her grab an apple a yesterday." Christina noted.