seven

The Mikaelsons had all fled their village and had been travelling for nearly a year

The Mikaelsons had all fled their village and had been travelling for nearly a year. Saga and Niklaus had strengthened their relationship, it becoming stronger than it was before. The love flowed like a river through the mountains. The fear of being hunted by Mikael kept the family moving, never stopping to rest in a single place for too long. They were fearful that he would hunt them all down and kill them like the beasts he believed they were.

Leaving the tipped carriage in the middle of the lane, Niklaus sped back to where the. family remained in the shadows waiting to feed on the blood of those who stopped.
"Hello love." Nik said pressing his rough lips harshly to Sagas smoother ones.
"Hello Nik." She giggled as Kol groaned at the couple.
"Please do pay attention Niklaus, someone is coming." Elijah said, his back straight and his noble attitude present.
"I will go now Elijah." Nik said winking at his wife before speeding off to kill the driver of the carriage.

After feeding, Elijah began to cover the old cart with leaves after moving it out of the road while Finn dragged the bodies that were drained to the side of the road. Nik stood with Saga stroking the horses while Rebekah watched her brothers clean the road.
"Kol, are you quite done?" Elijah said, wanting his youngest brother to hurry up.
"Oh bother Elijah, is all of this truly necessary?" Kol said pulling away, blood staining his face.
"Brother, the road is a major thoroughfare. If the bodies are found, word of our presence will spread to Mikael."
"We have run through autumn and winter, through sleet and snow. Are we cursed to forever live in fear of our father?" Rebekah asked.
"I should say yes, sadly." Finn replied leaning against the cart that Elijah was covering.
"Finn, please. Niklaus." Elijah said causing Nik's head to jolt up and away from the horse he was stroking.
"Do we have any idea where we are running to next?" Rebekah asked, annoyed that she was constantly running.
"Why not do what we've all thought of doing split up?"
"Kol!" Saga looked at Kol, hurt filling her eyes at his suggestion of leaving each other.
"We swore a vow." Nik replied moving forward.
"Your vows haunt me more than father himself!" Kol replied, not seeing hurt etching Saga's features at his clear attempts to leave the family. "At least he can't chase us all. I say we take our chances."
"Perhaps Kol is right." Finn replied after a pause.
"Thank you Finn. You know I've always said eldest is the most intelligent."
"Stop talking." Finn said annoyed.
"You just want to leave, after everything?" Saga looked at the two.
"I take no joy in our ascent but I do wish to sleep in a bed, to bathe in a bath, to feed off proper food. If we divide-"
"No brother." Elijah interrupted, "Niklaus is right we made a vow, family above all. Always and forever." Elijah said before turning to Nik, who grinned at his brother.

Sometime later, the family were feeding again. Niklaus having finished while his wife continued to drain the corpse.
"Whose ready for the next course?" Kol asked, hand patting Nik's arm as he watched his wife feed, blood running down her chin from the sides of her mouth as she dulled the pain from the hunger.
"You're all filthy gluttons." Finn exasperatedly sighed.
"And you remain ever the dullard." Kol smiled, Saga finally dropping the woman onto the ground.
Her husband smiled and moved his hand to wipe away the blood, pulling his thumb to suck away the remains. Saga biting her lip, the sexual tension between the two was heavy, it could be cut with a knife, due to the lack of alone time.
"Such pretty clothes." Rebekah sighed running her hands over the bright and intricate patterns of the woman's dress.
Their own clothes remained dull, muted and old. They were unable to wear such intricate designs as it would draw attention to them and they couldn't afford to be found.
"What a shame they will go to waste."
"Rebekah! We have discussed this endlessly-"
"No! You have discussed this. None of us had any say in the matter. We could live as they do, at least for a time. Think of it Elijah..." The family all began to hear a heartbeat as Rebekah continued, "We could hide in plain sight, we could live ordinary lives."
"Silence." Elijah muttered.
Locating a heartbeat, Elijah moved to the carriage. He pulled back a cover for a man who gasped as he realised he had been discovered. The man jumping off the carriage as the family surrounded him when he tried to run; Saga, Rebekah and Kol in front of him.
"Well aren't you a handsome one." Rebekah said.
"He looks like desert to me." Kol joined moving forward as the man screamed at him to wait.
"I can help you! I am the personal servant of the Count de Martel. I was sent to escort these guests to his home for a lengthy stay. I know their customs as well as the Count's habits. If you mean to pose as the family you have slaughtered here, then you'll need my help to carry out your ruse." He said looking around the family.
"Please can we keep him?" Rebekah asked after a pause.
"Rebekah no, what is our most important rule?"
"Never leave alive someone who has seen-"
"what we are." The rest of the family joined in reciting Elijah's most important rule.
"Thank you very much. A practice that has served us very well indeed." Elijah moved towards the human.
"She has a point." Finn grabbed at his shoulder to halt his movements, "He may be of use."
"Ah, proper family squabble." Kol said putting his arm over Saga's shoulders who shoved him away.
"Perhaps we should put it to a vote." Niklaus said. "All those in favour of letting him live." Rebekah, Saga and Finn lifted their hands.
"All those inclined to gut him." Kol said, raising his hand along with Elijah.
"Well Nik, what shall it be?" Kol squinted his eyes at his brother, menacingly.
"I'm inclined to agree with my wife brother." Niklaus replied moving over to her.
It looked like they were going to settle for a short while.