twelve

"Nik?" Saga called from her seat on the end of the bed

"Yes, my love?" Nik replied from where he was painting.
"Do you think we're safe? With Alexander and the Brotherhood?"
"I think you worry too much my dearest. You and I will always be together and I will always keep you safe. No matter the enemy."
"I love you, my sweet boy." Saga kissed him sweetly as he approached the end of the bed, kneeling to reach and kiss him.
"There will never be anyone else, only you. I love you, always and forever. Now lets stop the questions and get some rest."

Saga and Nik slept side by side as they did every night, the rest of the family including Finn and Kol who had recently joined them again in their respective bedrooms. However, unlike every other night, tonight someone threatened their life. The Brotherhood of The Five had all crept into the families separate bedrooms and attempted to kill them in their sleep. Saga gasped as she jolted awake due to a piercing, searing pain in her heart. She soon fell back down, her skin grey instead of her usual fair tone and veins covering her body.

Jolting awake, Saga placed her hand on her chest.
"Nik?!" Saga called out, her throat and voice rough.
She received no response and so called out again.
She moved out of their bed in search of her husband, gasping at the blood that coated the walls.
She heard Rebekah and Klaus talking.
"Nik, I had no idea."
"But you should have. Your only family was nearly wiped out because of your stupidity. My wife nearly died because of you letting him into our home. What did he promise you?"
"Nothing," Rebekah sighed tears in her eyes, "Nothing."
"He wouldn't have made a move unless he knew you were vulnerable. You trusted him over me!" Nik bellowed at his crying sister. "What did he promise you?"
"Nothing Nik, I swear."
"What did he promise you?!" Nik shouting, he pulled his sister up, "Tell me Rebekah."
"A cure. There is a cure. We could be mortal again."
Nik sighed and dropped his sister harshly, turning to see his wife staring at him with disbelief at the way he was shouting at his sister in such a cruel way.
"Saga, do you feel okay?" Nik took a step forwards but she moved back.
"How could you shout and be so cruel towards your sister Nik?"
"She endangered your life, my love." Rebekah let out a loud sob at this.
"I will speak with you later Nik." Saga moved past him to hold Rebekah as she cried and continually apologised.

Later on that day, the family had decided to leave again and part ways. Nik would stay with Saga, Rebekah and Elijah but Kol and Finn would once again leave them.
"Saga, please look at me."
"Why would you be so cruel when she was clearly upset Nik? That isn't like you."
"You nearly died because she was in love."
"She made a rash decision that she clearly regrets and you know that."
"But-"
"If I asked you to do something that could harm the others, would you?"
"In a heartbeat, I love you." Nik stepped forward.
"Then how are you any different to Rebekah. She just wants someone to love Nik. Please don't hold this against her."
"Saga-" Nik was cut off by the glare his wife gave him, "Okay. Okay. Okay."

The family soon fled again, leaving another sense of normality behind them as they moved into the night to seek out a place they could call home.