Cursed as an Heiress

Floating back down to the ground, we landed in an alley that wasn't too far from the building.

"Mind fillin' me in on your plan, Dia?" Ian asked.

"Simple. I'm gonna become the new don." I said.

Ian went silent; I could barely hear his breathing.

"Before you didn't want nothin' to do with the mafia or your father, now you want to become the don...? Everythin' all right up there?" Ian asked, poking the side of my head.

I breathed out and brushed away his hand.

"Trust me. I know what I'm doin'." I said.

"All right... If ya say so..." Ian said.

Before I could walk out, I saw a dozen cars leave the building's garage.

Looks like they're goin' huntin'...

Gesturing my head forward, the two of us began making our way back toward the building. We snuck past security and was able to get inside without anyone noticing. Hopping in the elevator, the two of us rode it to the top floor.

"You ready?" Ian asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I confessed.

Even though I say I'm ready, I don't feel ready at all...

Once we reached the top floor, the metal doors slid open, and I saw Eric's office doors wide open. Standing at the end of the office, I saw my father.

Here goes nothin'...

Taking a deep breath, I walked out of the elevator and into the glass office with Ian at my side.

"You're here..." Dad said.

He turned around and our eyes met. His eyes were filled with rage; it was almost visible. His voice was black ice; dark and cold.

"At last..." he muttered.

Walking up next to him was a conscious Eric, glaring daggers of ice my way.

"Glad to see you're alive and well, Eric." I said sarcastically.

"Cut the crap, Gladia..." Eric growled.

My father waved a hand at Eric for him to be silent.

"You know why I'm here, Gladia." Dad said.

"Then you should know why I'm not puttin' up a fight. All my life, I've been runnin' away from my past when really... I was just runnin' away from you... The bastard that murdered my mother...!" I growled.

The room fell silent.

"I then realized that I was just delayin' the inevitable. And I'm sure as hell not lettin' that idiot run the mafia and the organization that you worked so hard to maintain." I said, eyeing Eric.

Eric scoffed and turned away from me.

"You don't gotta tell me what I have to expect from somethin' like this. I lived with you long enough to know what I gotta do to make you proud. And when I become the don, I swear I'll be better than you and run this mafia and organization my way." I said.

My father chuckled and clapped his hands.

"What a pathetic display of courage. I expected more from my own flesh and blood." Dad said.

I clenched my fists so hard; my nails started digging into my skin.

Who does he think he is...?

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions and know right from wrong. What I'm about to do feels so wrong... but, I'm doin' it for the right reasons, unlike you..." I said.

My father glared at me.

"And also, isn't this what you've always wanted? For me to follow in your footsteps and become the daughter you've always wanted? If anythin', you're the pathetic one here." I said.

My father growled and clenched my fists.

"So, are we gonna get this over with or not?" I asked.

My father sighed and grinned at me.

"Very well. Let's get this over with." Dad said.

Ian walked up to me and grabbed my arm.

"Dia, you don't have to do this..." he whispered.

"As I said, I know what I'm doin'..." I whispered back.

I dislodged his hand from my arm and gave it a reassuring squeeze. Releasing his hand, I walked up to my father and sighed.

"I, Kalani Coremala, president of the Coremala Organization, and don of the Coremala Mafia, step down from my role as president of the organization and the role as don. I hereby give my positions to my daughter, Gladia Coremala." Dad said.

My father took off his chain that had a key attached to it. Giving him a small smile, I took the key and put it around my neck.

It finally happened... I always imagined this day would come, just never thought it would come so soon...

My father placed his hand on my shoulder and smiled down at me.

"I'm very proud of you, Gladia. You now understand that walking in the footsteps of an achiever is far more worth it than walking in the footsteps of a disappointment-of-a-mother." Dad said.

Something in me just snapped.

A what-of-a-mother...!?