Chpt.3

*Last Period*

Embarrassed by this morning's events, I had been trying to avoid Nathan the rest of the day. Unfortunately, I discovered we ended up having three classes together.

Science was the last class of the day and it was only 15 mins into the boring lecture Mr. Rust was giving. However, I really needed to concentrate since my grades had been slipping plus a major project was coming up that was worth 50% of our grade. I just couldn't stop my mind from wandering though.

"Miss Mattsfield, would you care to answer?" Mr. Rust asked me jolting me from my daydream.

All the students turned toward me and some even smirked.

"Ummm," I stammered.

"Well?"

"Could you please repeat the question?" I asked nicely.

"What is the difference between motion and momentum?" he replied impatiently.

"Ummm..."

He sighed, "Anybody else?"

"Hmmm...how about you, Mr. Sykes." He said looking at Nathan.

Nathan sat behind me a few rows down. When I turned my head and saw his face we locked eyes.

"Motion is associated with velocity, and the direction and speed with which the body is moving whereas force is the rate of change of momentum." he recited while still looking at me.

Mr. Rust brightened, "Very impressive! First day here and you outshine the rest of the class..." he turned my direction as he finished, "...who should already know this."

I sighed and turned back around to face the front.

"First day here and you outshine the rest of the class who should already know this," I mocked to myself. God what an asshole.

Then I heard a soft voice - *Laughing* You're right, he is one.

I looked behind to see who said that. My classmate behind me looked up from his book and gave me a what-do-you-want look. So I turned back around and silently shook my head.

Huh, I must be imagining things again...

Imagining what?

There was that voice again! I looked over to my left but noticed everyone was facing forward.

What the heck is going on? I must have hit my head on the ground from fainting after all.

No you didn't.

Excuse me?

......

Hello?

.......

Is this my conscience?

No....

Then who the heck is this then?

A person.

I massaged my temples trying not to freak out.

This can't be happening....

"Miss Mattsfield, please pay attention," Mr. Rust barked.

Sorry," I muttered.

So...if you're not my conscience then who is this?

A person, I told you.

I sighed.