Chpt.13

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and texted Kelsey.

To: Sisters4-Ever

Hey could I get a ride from you? Got stuck at school.

I waited and waited for a text back. Nothing.

I stood outside on the curb about to text Kells again when a car pulled up in front of me.

"Hey do you need a ride or something?"

I looked up from my phone - it was Scott.

After my initial surprise, I finally responded, "Yeah, sure. Thanks." and got in.

A few moments of uncomfortable silence went by.

"Do you want me to just drop you off at your house?" he asked.

Since I hadn't been back at my own house in weeks, I shook my head, "Actually, no. Hey, do you maybe want to go somewhere for a bite to eat and just sit and talk?"

Scott looked at me and then looked back at the road. He shrugged his shoulders, "Uh, sure if you want to."

We pulled into Perkins and got a table in the back.

"So how have you been?" I asked Scott after we sat down.

He nodded his head, "Good. Made the Varsity basketball team, no complaints really," he said, "and you?"

I told him about my dad's accident. He was seemed genuinely concerned and asked for all the details.

"Wow Crystal, I'm sorry to hear that about your dad, that's awful and must be hard," Scott said.

"Well then on top of that, there was a break in at my house, so I haven't been living there for the past few weeks. Seems like it's just one bad thing after another." I didn't tell him I was living with Nathan but he must have figured it out though.

"Well, Crystal I've been meaning to tell you, and don't get mad... I'd be a little careful around that Nathan guy. I know you two are a thing..."

"No we're not," I quickly said, "I mean, not officially I guess."

He just walks me around in school every day, openly gives me hugs and kisses, not to mention the fact I'm living with him, and sleeping in his bed - naw, we're not "official."

"Well, I don't know if you should trust him. There's something about him that is... different," Scott said.

I suppressed an internal laugh, how funny that Nathan said almost the exact same thing about Scott when we saw him at the mall a few weeks ago.

"It's okay, Scott. I can take care of myself," I assured him as I took a sip of my Coke.

"Crystal, you don't always have to do things by yourself. Sometimes people, even you, need help once in awhile," Scott said.

I paused, thinking again how strange that Nathan had told me something similar as well.

We talked about school and how far we've progressed on our projects. It was really nice being able to talk to another friend for awhile. Scott excused himself for the bathroom and I checked my phone. I had missed 3 texts from Nathan.

From: NathanSexySykes;)

I'm sorry love. Didn't mean to hurt you...

From: NathanSexySykes;)

I'm SO sorry. Please text me?

From: NathanSexySykes;)

Are you ok? Please call or text me, please?