Chpt.12

The Monday after Winter Break came too soon. Nathan drove us to school and he walked me to my locker.

"Crystal!" Kelsey screamed when she saw me.

I ran over to her and hugged her back. She looked refreshed and really tan.

"So, what did I miss?" She asked slyly. But before I could say anything, Nathan walked over to us.

"Hi Kelsey, how was your trip?"

"Absolutely wonderful!" she exclaimed.

"Well I'll let you two catch up, I'll see you in a few hours Crystal," he said and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving.

After Nathan rounded the corner, Kells grabbed me, "Tell me EVERYTHING!"

I started to tell her about my dad's accident and how I had been staying at Nathan's house. Her eyes grew wider and wider.

"I KNEW it!" she exclaimed.

Suddenly I was shoved from behind. I turned around to see a tall, dark skinned girl with shoulder length wavy black hair.

"Why don't you watch what the hell you're doing," she sneered at me.

I didn't recognize her and Kells and I just looked at each other not too pleased at her tone.

"Umm, you were the one who ran into me," I said brushing myself off.

She stepped forward, "I don't think so bitch. What, you have a problem with that?"

I was appalled by her bold rudeness, "What? No! Sorry!"

She stepped towards me again and I thought she was going to punch me. I impulsively took a step back , "Ha, yeah that's what I thought. You weak little slut."

The girl turned on her heels and walked away from us. My mouth hung open and my heart was beating furiously. Kelsey grabbed me, "What the heck was that all about?"

"I have no idea," as I watched her strut down the hall hoping I would not run into her again.

In the Cafeteria, Nathan and Tom sat by us while Kells and I ate. I told him about my encounter with the new girl in the hallway. Tom shot Nathan a look that was only understood between the two of them.

I looked at Nathan, "What? Do you know her or something?"

Nathan hesitated, "Her name is Dionne. I had her in my second period class."

"Oh, well was she as rude to everyone else as she is to me?" I asked angry all over again.

Nathan hesitated again, "Crystal, I would stay as far away from her as possible. She's not right in the head."

"Yeah, ya think?" I replied pushing my food around with my fork, "I just don't get it, I did nothing to her yet she was calling me awful names and threatening me."

Nathan gave me a little hug, "Just stay away from her, I'll see if I can do something about it."

"Like what?" I said.

But Nathan didn't answer. The bell rang ending the lunch period.

Over the next few days Dionne seemed to find some way or another to trip me up or push me in the hallway in between classes. Only when Nathan was present with me, I wasn't harassed. I had gotten used to Frankie and Isabelle being mean to me, but this chick was 100 times worse. And I found myself afraid of her because I didn't understand why she was so aggressive towards me.

Nathan walked me to Math class and gave me a quick hug goodbye.

"I'll see you in Science, love," he said as he left for Language Arts.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Dionne watching us behind a locker door. Chills ran down my spine as she glared at me with pure hatred.

The next day, Nathan came to visit me at my locker like usual. But unlike other times before, this time Dionne came to harass me even with Nathan there.

Dionne shoved me into my locker, "Whoops!"

"Hey!" Nathan said glaring at her and helping me.

"I didn't see her there!" Dionne said innocently, then using a smooth sultry voice, "I just wanted to come talk to you Nathan. I really like the jacket you're wearing today. You absolutely define the word 'sexy'."

She was practically breathing all over him as she flirted with him. I rolled my eyes in disgust. But before Nathan could even say anything, she walked off. My mouth dropped when she looked back at us one more time and winked at him.

"Who the hell does she think she is?" anger rising in my voice.

"Just forget about it, love," Nathan said as he walked me to my next class.

So that was the new game. Whenever Nathan was with me, Dionne made sure to make a big scene in front of him that usually included insulting me and flirting with him. I was getting pretty tired of it and not happy that Nathan didn't fight back.

We got out of Science class at the end of the day, Nathan waited at my locker to give me a ride. Sure enough, Dionne came walking down the hallway. She came up right behind Nathan and actually draped her long dark arms around his shoulders.

"Hi there handsome," she cooed in his ear.

Nathan took a step back and batted her arms away, "What the-? Get the hell away from me!"

She turned to me and shot daggers at me with her eyes. Talking to Nathan but still looking at me she said, "I just don't understand how you would even want to hang around with trash like this."

Dionne lunged forward towards me but Nathan quickly put himself in front of me and snarled at her.

"You stay away from her Dionne. Or I swear, you will answer to me," Nathan threatened.

But Dionne just stood there and laughed, "Tsk tsk tsk, oh Nathan dear. All words but no game."

She turned away to leave and winked, "Just remember Nath, you're not the only one who's used to getting their way, 'love'."

"What is her deal? Why is she bothering us so much?" I asked watching her leave. "And why did she say that about you?"

Nathan sighed. "Crystal..."

I look at him waiting for him to explain.

"Crystal, Dionne is my ex-girlfriend," he said.

I was stunned. "What?! That freak was your girlfriend? This whole time, why didn't you tell me?"

"She's very much an ex. I don't know why she's here, but obviously she's bullying you because of me. I'm so sorry love," Nathan said reaching for me.

I took two steps back from him though, shaking my head.

"Crystal," Nathan began.

But I didn't want to hear anymore from him. I was so angry and hurt. I grabbed my bag and walked away as fast as I could from him and hoped he wasn't following me.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Dionne