Teasing - Chapter Fifteen

Back in the car on our way home I still have to think about that dinner and what happened after Cate had told me she wanted nothing more than to be with me alone. I smile. She did not say more than these five words. Just the two of us. But these words were enough to make my heart jump. And even though it was an innocent phrase it implied something else... I felt Cate knew that too, for the bland look she gave me after she said these words was both ingenuous and teasing as if she was saying I didn't say anything but if you dare - try me. I, from my part was completely overwhelmed and could not cease looking at her in astonishment. Then I had just said, very silently, almost shyly, "me too". Cate's eyes - before those of a temptress – altered. They became warmer. We both had remained silent however, just catching each other's glances and smiling with contempt.

Cate sitting next to me shifts, poking her elbow into my side.

"What are you thinking about?"

I turn away from the car window I had been absent-mindedly looking out and face Cate. It is dark in the car and I can barely see her. Just her silhouette and the twinkling of her eyes remain visible.

"Oh, nothing much. Just about this wonderful evening."

I smile at her despite the fact that she won't notice it probably.

Cate shifts again but not out of discomfort but rather satisfaction. She leans back in her seat.

"Mhmm" she lets out. "Yes it was."

I can almost hear her smirk.

It really had been a brilliant evening though. After this scene it felt like we had come to a silent understanding. We had been relaxed and even I had become a bit more confident. There had not been any further overt flirting but there had also been no sign of any coldness residing in misunderstandings. Just warm and wholehearted conversations. Genuine conversations. Interesting ones as well. I had been worried at first that I couldn't hold a candle to Cate. That it would become quite evident that she knew so much more than me and that she would grow bored eventually. These worries passed as fast as they came, though. Cate was of course incredibly well-read and intelligent but she was also a dazzling conversationist, asking questions, making jokes and listening. I know I said there had not been any overt flirting, that much is true, but the looks she gave me! I am well aware of the fact that Cate makes me panic no matter how she looks at me but this was something else. Cate had stopped being embarrassed about the way she looked at me. Her bland glances had something challenging, daring even.

Cate shifts again in her seat, jolting me out of my dreams.

"You know, I am really glad I went to visit you"

This time I only see her dark profile as she looks ahead not facing me.

I, on the contrary, look at her. I hesitate for a short moment, considering if I should really say this, but then I do it.

"To be honest, I thought you just never wanted to see me again."

Cate huffs but remains silent. With her left hand she touches her lips, stroking them gently, which makes her look like she is thinking about something.

Finally she replies "No...I couldn't."

I wait for her expectantly to explain what she means exactly but Cate pauses. Then abruptly she changes the topic this time turning towards me.

"Is it really true that you like hiking?"

Surprised of this change I ask

"What?"

Cate pokes me again.

"Hiking. An hour ago, you told me that you have a thing for the English countryside, old manors and cottages and even more so hiking. Is that really true? Or is that your way to lure women over fifty?"