MILFS - Chapter Six

Olivia and John had made an apple crumble for dessert. We were all desperate to change the rather downcast atmosphere and quickly we found ourselves joking and laughing again. Not one of us dared to bring up either the divorce or Cate's current situation. I couldn't help myself watch Cate. Her blue eyes fill with a particular sparkle that flashes when she laughs. God, she really is beautiful.

The more wine we all drink, the more relaxed we all become. Especially Cate and I seem to be particularly receptive to the loosening effect of the alcohol. We all laugh a lot and I gain more confidence. Suddenly, I don't quite know how, the topic shifts to the effects of getting older. Well, surely, I can contribute a lot to this topic. Not. Rather lost, I listen to John complaining about him turning slowly grey, as Cate speaks up.

"You know what I find horrible?" she giggles

"No? I mean come on; you are the best looking person in this room." Olivia says.

I laugh and say, "From you old people, you mean!"

John, a little tipsy, shushes me. "Shhh, be quiet. You aren't allowed to say anything, unless it's something nice. You privileged young thing."

We all laugh.

"Now listen. Let me finish. What I find really, really horrible-"Cate makes a dramatic pause "what I find really appalling are my hands. I mean look at the veins. They are so big. Ugh. I hate it."

She looks down at her hands and then holds them up so we can all see. She makes a weird face, trying to look disgusted but failing miserably.

I lean over, take her left hand, and act as though I was examining it.

"No, no, no. You know what? I find them sexy. Hands are sexy. Veins are sexy. I'd rate them ten out of ten."

John coughs slightly. "Well, Ada. That's just because you have a thing for MILFs. I am sure that's a lesbian thing. With the hands, I mean. Not the women-as-old-as-my-mum-thing. I mean I don't know. Is it?"

We all pause for a second. Silence. Then Cate smirks and Olivia chuckles.

I laugh but internally I panic. Shit, John. WHY?

I try to save as much of my dignity as possible. "No, no...well, you know. Actually, 'MILF' is NOT an appropriate term. It's objectifying, John, shame on you!" I raise a warning finger but I burst out in laughter.

"As much as I say about lesbian culture. There definitely is a bunch of lesbians appreciating the grandeur and the irresistible charm of middle-aged women. So..." I look at Olivia and Cate "You guys can be glad, when patriarchy tells you you're not sexy anymore because you have wrinkles, you've still got the lesbians backing you up. Whereas you, John" I turn towards him "Will have to come to terms with your ageing, decomposing body. I am so sorry, REALLY."

John sniggers and takes a sip from his glass of wine. "Alright"

"Actually," I correct myself "You probably won't even have to worry about that because for some weird inexplicable reason, men are still seen as sexy even when they can't get into the sports car they bought for themselves in order to get over their midlife crisis because it's too low."

John laughs. "Luckily, I don't have a tractor."

"Not yet..." Olivia says provocatively and pats his arm.

Cate pipes up.

"Ada-"she smirks again "now we ALL want to know."

Panic.

"What?" I ask.

"Well. I noticed that you haven't actually told us about yourself. Do YOU have a thing for women as old as me?" Cate's look penetrates me.