I'll Be There for You - Chapter Seventeen

I look out of the window. The old Victorian houses are long gone, instead green hills, sheep and hedges take their place.

"Ada" A dark yet soft voice reaches me.

I turn around and look at the blonde behind the steering wheel.

Gosh, she looks so beautiful.

I have to smile immediately at the sight of her sitting next to me. "Mhm?"

Cate, still focusing on the road (really it's a small and narrow country-lane) gives me a short side-glance. Seeing me smile, she grins back and asks, "Are you alright?"

I nod "Yes why wouldn't I be?" God why can't I stop smiling?

Her fingers drum on the steering wheel. "Well, you just went all quite..." she looks at me again.

I cannot describe the looks she gives me and they only last a second, but it feels like she is able to absorb my whole body with her eyes in under a second. This glance makes me feel secure and on the other hand, it feels like my whole soul and body are exposed to her.

"Oh no, I'm, you know, just enjoying the view" I say but keep on gazing at her in awe.

This time Cate keeps her eyes glued to the lane in front of her but I can see how her lips part into a smirk. "Enjoying the view...well, well"

Oh wow, now you're flirting unintentionally... great. Cate's reaction makes me want to scream in excitement. The problem is that I am sitting right next to her in so there is no way to I can release the tension that has been building up inside me from the moment I set foot into this vehicle.

I shift in my seat.

Cate pipes up again. "What I actually wanted to say is that we're nearly there"

As she speaks, she turns into an even smaller lane. It is a miracle how we are not stuck yet with this big Range Rover.

A couple of minutes later Cate stops the car in a small parking area on a grove. Turning off the engine, she looks at me excitedly. I look back at her.

I mean yes the road to this place looked beautiful but this parking place? Really?

She seems to notice my surprised expression and says, "Oh don't you worry, this isn't the place I was talking about. We have to walk there. I mean this is a hiking trip after all, isn't it?" she smiles taking off her sunglasses and places them on her golden waves of hair.

I unbuckle myself and grin.

"So you say" and with these words I take my backpack and leave the car.

"You are a cheeky one!" I can hear her saying.

Cate gets out of the car as well and slams the door. She goes to the back, opens the boot and takes out a leather backpack. Then she turns towards me tucking her blond strands of hair behind her ear.

I love it when she does that.

"Ready to go?" she smiles.

Her words need another two seconds until they reach my brain. Just as I go to reply, she adds in a playful tone

"Also, close your mouth"

God, why can't she stop teasing me? Do you even know how hard it is to sit next to Cate Blanchett and keep breathing? Of course, she has no idea. She is Cate Blanchett.

"I- I wasn't..." I try it again "I was just... well..."

I fail at forming a coherent sentence.