Chapter 18

I walk up the stairs in a neighbouring apartment estate, feeling excitement take over my body. When I finally get to the door number George sent me, I ring the doorbell, a smile already on my lips. George swings open the door after a minute and widens his eyes. "Wow, you really made an effort." He compliments me, pulling me in for a hug.

"For a change." I giggle and hear people already chatting in the living room. When we pull away from our hug, George rubs his neck awkwardly which makes me furrow my eyebrows.

"What's wrong?" I ask, concerned.

"Don't hate me." He says and turns around, walking away from me. Saying I was confused is an understatement. I walk into the apartment further, admiring how nice it is. It has a modern touch to it, however, it still feels cozy and homely.

I step into the living room and my smile drops from my face instantly. I blink my eyes, refusing to believe the image I'm seeing. Sitting on the sofa was Will and Nikkie, opposite them in an armchair sits Clay, dressed in a nice grey fitted shirt and some dark blue jeans. I gulp, and feel my hands start to sweat.

"Bella!" Nikkie exclaims happily, getting up and walking over to give me a hug. My eyes don't leave Clay, I feel paralysed. Clay's green eyes flick from Will and look over at me. He wears the same shocked expression as me when our eyes meet. The moment feels like it's in slow motion, I feel Nikkie's arms wrap around me but I don't manage to return the action. I feel a pinch on my back, snapping me out of my trance. I hug Nikkie back, silently thanking her for getting me out of my awkward state. She leads me to the sofa and I greet Will, still feeling Clay's eyes on me. I sit down next to Nikkie, and look at Clay again.

"Hi." I greet him shyly.

"Hey Bella." He says. Hearing his deep voice again sends shivers down my spine. I bite my lip and look down into my lap, praying that the night won't be too awkward.

"Dinner is ready!" George calls from the kitchen. We all get up and walk into the kitchen. There's a table set with different dishes on it. There are 6 chairs, 3 on each side of the table. I take a seat next to George, while Nikkie, Will, and Clay sit on the other side. George find conversation easily with Nikkie and Will, while Clay and I stay silent. Sitting opposite each other makes it incredibly difficult to not look at each other so we steal glances at each other every now and again, causing a blush to appear on my cheeks and a smirk on his lips.

The awkwardness distills over the evening, all of us chatting and laughing together but Clay and I are still yet to say a word to each other. When we all finish our meals, we remain at the table for a little longer. Suddenly, I feel a leg touch mine under the table. My heart skips a beat and I look up at Clay who is busy talking with Will. Slowly his leg starts to rub against mine, making my heart start to race and my core heat up. "Isn't that right Bella?" Clay says, looking into my eyes.

"W-what?"I stutter and Clay chuckles, his voice low and rumbly. I start to breathe faster when his green eyes stare at mine, making butterflies explode in my stomach.

"We're okay right?" Clay asks. I clear my throat and feel everyone's eyes on me. I nod, "Yeah, we are."

"See." Clay smiles, glancing down at my lips for a split second, "We're fine." He turns to look back at Will.

I clear my throat and push away from the table in my chair. "Where's the bathroom?" I ask, standing up. Everyone turns to look at me, but I only look at Clay.

"It's down the hall and to th-" George begins explaining when Clay interrupts him, still looking at me. A fire in both of our eyes.

"I'll show you."