20

Demi's POVH

We listened as our lawyers debated back and forth about if Kenzie's dad should be charged with child abuse or not. Kenzie hadn't even gone up to speak yet, and their arguing about it. Once she speaks, though, I know that he will definitely be staying in jail. I never let go of Kenzie's hand. I could tell whenever she glanced at her dad because her hand would start trembling. I'd calm her down, then she'd go back to normal. "Can I have Eric Wilson to the podium?" Judge Johnson asked. She was actually very intimidating. Kenzie's father stood up and casually walked up to the front of the room. Kenzie kept her eyes in her lap, but I kept my eyes on him. He stared at me with amusement. I continued to glare at him until I felt Kenzie tense up again. I looked down, and she was looking at him.

"Don't look at him, Kenzie," I reminded her again. She shifted her eyes back down to her lap.

"Eric Wilson, are you the father of Kenzie Wilson?" Judge Johnson asked.

"Yes," he said in a deep voice that made Kenzie tense up again. It had been a long time since she'd last heard his voice, and I could tell she didn't like hearing it again. I rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb until she relaxed.

"And is this young girl Kenzie Wilson?"

"Yes," he said, staring at Kenzie.

"Mr. Wilson, have you ever hurt Kenzie in any way?"

He cleared his throat before answering. "No." I felt Kenzie's hand start to shake, and I looked down at her. She was staring up at me, but didn't look at her father. She had a worried look, and I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "I would never ever hurt my daughter. I've missed her so much since we've been separated. I want her back. I did nothing to have her taken from me." His words made me want to puke. I was expecting him to be in denial, but it's different when it actually happens.

"Demi, I don't want to go back," Kenzie whispered in my ear in panic.

"You aren't going back, I promise," I whispered back calmly.

"Can you explain these?" Judge Johnson asked, signalling to pictures on the wall being displayed by a projector.

Her father shrugged. "She's a kid, she likes to play rough."

"And these?" the judge asked, displaying a few pictures that made a lump form in my throat. I wanted to throw up. It was disgusting. He was sick. How could anyone do that anyone else, especially a little girl? I watched him as he stared at the pictures in content. He had no look of guilt as he kept his eyes glued to the pictures.

He shrugged again. "I have no explanation, but it was not my doing." He said it so calmly, like there was nothing wrong.

"Who was it, then?" the Judge asked.

He kept shrugging. "Maybe you have your pictures mixed up."

"I don't believe that's the case," Judge Johnson said. After asking a few more questions, and Kenzie's father staying in denial, he was allowed to go sit back down next to his lawyer. "Kenzie Wilson, please come up to the podium." I gave her hand a final gentle squeeze as she stood up and slowly made her way to behind the podium. "Is it true that this man, Eric Wilson, is your father?" Kenzie nodded. "Use your words, please." I could tell the judge was getting impatient.

"Yes," Kenzie managed to squeak out.

"And did your father hurt you in any way?" Then Kenzie looked at her father and froze. She kept her mouth shut as she stared at her father's evil glare. He put so much fear into her that she's scared of him even when others are around. "Kenzie?" the judge asked. Kenzie didn't move. Judge Johnson tried a few more times before I stood up.

"Your honor-" I said trailing off. It was enough for Kenzie to snap her gaze towards me. I slowly lowered myself back down in my seat. "I'm sorry, it can wait," I said, keeping my eyes attached to Kenzie's.

The judge let out a frustrated sigh before returning her attention back to Kenzie. "Kenzie, can you answer my question?"

"Yes, he did," Kenzie said in a shaky voice. She kept her eyes locked on mine.

"Like what?" the judge asked. Then Kenzie explained everything. She told about him burning her, hitting her, kicking her. She explained some specific stories, which made my heart drop to the pit of my stomach, even though I had heard them before. "Anything else?" Judge Johnson asked.

"There was one more thing. It hurt the most."

"You can tell us, it's okay," the judge said. She had gotten kinder at this point, and I knew what she was waiting for Kenzie to explain.

"He called it game nights." After that, Kenzie continued to tell her story. She was in tears, and I wanted to be, but I had to stay strong for her. I didn't want her freaking out even more.

As Kenzie talked, her father slammed his hand on the table and stood up. "I don't know what's gotten into her. I did none of this." I could tell Kenzie was fighting hard to keep her eyes on me, but she did a great job.

"Sit down, Mr. Wilson," judge Johnson said sternly. Then she turned her attention back to Kenzie. "Thank you, Kenzie, you may return to your seat." Kenzie quickly stood up and speed-walked to me, crawling into my lap. The lawyers went back and forth some more, but it didn't last long. The truth was obvious, and her father was determined as guilty, and it was finalized that I had full custody of Kenzie.

 I carried Kenzie out of the room. "Good job, it's all over," I whispered in her ear. She nodded as I carried her to the lobby. "I have to use the restroom, do you want to go in with me? It's a one person restroom."

'Can I just wait out here?" She asked.

I nodded. "Sure, sit on this bench, and don't go any where, okay? I'll be right back."

Kenzie's POV

I sat on the bench as Demi went into the bathroom. It was a single person, so no stalls. I didn't like those, even if I wasn't the one using it. The whole lobby was empty, then I saw something out of the corner of my eye. My eyes grew huge, and my heart started pounding hard. I think I was more scared then than I was in the court room.

I just got back from my theatre conference, so here's an update! Also, I just posted a new fanfic! Only five chapters right now, but many updates to come!