18

Demi's POV

I listened for as long as Kenzie needed me to. I listened to her talk about everything her father did. The list was so long. I listened to her talk about the "game" he made her play. He was truly a sick man, and I hated him. I don't hate a lot of people, but I absolutely HATE him. Kenzie didn't stop crying the whole time she spoke. My heart hurt like it never has before, and I loathed like I never have before.

"I was so bad, Demi," she sobbed into me.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, confusion clearly in my tone.

"He only hurt me when he said I was bad. I must have been really bad."

As if it was broken before, I felt my heart shatter into countless pieces. "What did you do that he thought was so bad?"

"I don't know," she cried. "I told him I was sorry, but he never listened. I don't know what I did, Demi!"

"It's okay, shhhh, you did nothing," I said while stroking her hair.

"What?" She asked after a couple of sniffles.

"Kenzie, you did nothing wrong. He told you that, but there is absolutely nothing you could have done to deserve that."

"Then why did he do that?"

"Because he is a very evil man. Something had gone wrong in his life, and he took it out on you. There is absolutely no excuse for that. He was wrong. He was very bad, not you."

"Are you sure?"

"I am 100% positive." I was. I meant every word I've said.

"One more thing," she continued.

"What?"

"He said our game was fun, then why didn't I have fun? That was the worst of everything, but he said it was the best. Am I wrong on that?"

How am I supposed to explain this to a five-year-old? At the mention of his "game," I felt the bile rise in my throat, and my anger boiled to new heights. "No, you were definitely not wrong. He was very sick, very disgusting. He found fun in the worst way possible. That should have never, ever happened. He's a bad man, Kenzie." I didn't feel bad about calling her father a bad man. I knew she wouldn't get upset with me. She wouldn't defend him, so I could say the truth without hurting her. I hated this man with everything I had.

"I'm glad I told you, Demi," Kenzie said.

I enveloped her in an even bigger hug than before. "I'm glad, too." I sat with her on my lap until she fell asleep, which didn't take long. It was really late. I decided to tell her about the court business the next day. Once she was in deep sleep, I picked her up and carried her into my room. Thankfully, she didn't wake up. I set her down in my bed, then laid beside her, putting my arm around her and bringing her in close. I soon fell asleep to the feeling of her light, even breathing on my chest.

-

When I woke up, it was late morning, almost noon. Kenzie was still asleep, so I laid in my spot and recapped the events of last night. God, I hated her father. He was evil, disgusting. I couldn't stand the thought of him touching my little girl. The hatred disappeared when I saw Kenzie start to flutter her eyes open. "Good morning, baby."

She smiled up at me. "Morning." She took a minute to examine her surroundings.

"Hope you didn't mind being in my bed. I thought you wouldn't like being alone after all that happened."

She smiled again. "I don't mind." She put her little hand on my cheek. "You're a lot nicer," she whispered. I smiled down at her and wrapped my arms tighter around her, bring her closer to my chest, where she happily laid her head. "Everything about you is nicer." She said without moving. "Your smile is comforting. Your voice is calming. Your hands are gentle." She started to get choked up with her words. "Your hugs and kisses are caring, not forceful." I could feel her body start to tremble.

"It's okay," I whispered. I held onto her as she cried all of her tears out again, as she had last night.

I know this really sucks, sorry, but I planned for something big to happen, so there will be filler chapters leading up to it.