ii. burn

ii. burn

"i don't need a hand to hold, 

even when the night is cold,

i got that fire in my soul'

(g eazy)

...

novella

This happens every time we go dancing.

We go in, spend a few minutes dancing and drinking, and then some guy or girl comes and swoops Kenny up, leaving me alone to go sit in the corner alone.

I give her a wink as the guy slips his arms around her waist and whispers in her ear. She grins at me and then whispers something back in his ear that made him grip her hips tighter and pull her against him.

Oookay. That's my cue to leave.

I slowly make my way through the crowd to the edge of the dance floor, scanning the place for Amir or Julian or Atticus.

I spot Atticus sitting with a group of kids smoking-no surprise there-and Julian sitting by the bar talking to Elsie Somerville.

Watching her talk to him and slide a shot towards him, I feel a weird feeling creeping in my stomach.

Lately, when it comes to Jules, it makes my head spin and the world tilt. Not a good combination. Plus, I'm supposed to be focused on my studies, not the butterflies I feel whenever he's around.

Instead of barging in on his and Elsie's conversation or sitting with all of Atticus' fellow crackheads, I look for Amir. I spy him at the other end of the bar, chatting with a boy, a drink in his hand. He looks relaxed for once, and seems to be enjoying the boy's company.

I feel the familiar sting of loneliness once again. It's getting hot in here, my clothes sticking to my skin.

I tighten my arms around myself and seek out an exit to cool off.

Outside, the full moon shines brightly down upon me.

When I was little, I thought that the moon was heaven. I remember getting excited, telling my parents that I was going to take a rocket to heaven. They'd just smiled at me with amused looks on their faces.

My parents.

The thought of them almost makes my knees buckle.

I glance around the parking lot and spot a bench not too far. No one is around, and I think that I am fairly safe. I just need a minute to cool down.

Inside, dancing with Kenny, all thoughts of my parents and the stolen money they had left me flew out the window. Now, outside in the darkness, the thoughts come surging into my brain and leaving me breathless.

I collapse on the bench before my legs give out. I clutch the edge of the seat tightly in my hands, as if it can hold me upright as that stupid phone call from a few days ago comes running through my mind.

Hello?

Novella Grace?

Yes Parker?

I have some news.

About?

About your parents.

I let out a shaky breath and suck in the tears that threaten to drown me.