xxiii. breathe

xxiii. breathe

'i know, i know 

this must be coming for me

i swear, i swear, i will be the end of me

you take, you take every last drop from me

i fear, i fear, this will be the death of me

the death of me

(madison beer)

(a/n: i know i have used so many of the songs off her album, but i swear EVERY SINGLE SONG relates to this story, EVERY SINGLE ONE. 10/10 would recommend.

>>>

novella

Everything is going fine until I bumped into the worm they call Jason Carter. I'd just gotten out of the library bathroom, prepared to go back and join my friends at our table, when a figure from down the hall comes towards me.

I hadn't seen him in so long I'd almost forgotten what he looked like.

Almost.

It's hard to forget the face of the person who cornered you in an alley, made you feel helpless and scared.

He remained the same as last I saw him-blonde hair stil close-cropped, blue eyes still tinted with evil, his left cheek still marred by the long scar running down his face.

My footsteps falter as our eyes lock and his smirk widens. His steps increase their pace until he's walking towards me with a haunting familiarity that made my heart palpitate faster than normal.

I fumble for the phone in my jeans, hoping that I could pretend to be talking to someone, but he'd already seen me.

Breathe, I tell myself, Breathe Nova. Breathe.

All I can do is send him my biggest glare and move to the other side of the hallway. He mirrors my actions, walking in my path towards me. Not once taking his eyes off mine.

I don't say anything as he gets nearer and nearer and when I pass him I'm holding my breath.

But when nothing happens, I exhale slightly and don't even look back as I continue forward.

And then a hand wraps around my upper arm, yanking me backwards.

He's standing close. So close I can smell his Old Spice body spray, the same smell that haunts me everytime I think about that night, pinned and helpless to the wall.

"Where are you going?" He asks with a smirk on his lips, knowing full well that he has the power here.

I try to pretend I am just as strong.

"Let go, or I will scream." I say quietly.

His eyebrow raises and he lets me go without a word.

A chill goes through me as I realize that it's too easy-there's no way he'd just let me go. But judging by the way his eyes flit to the corners of the hallway, at the cameras, he knows he can't do anything to me here.