xxxiv. exhale

'can i exhale, for a minute?

can i get this out in the open?

can i sit down, for a second?

can i  b r e a t h e 

for just one second?'

(sabrina carpenter)

novella

>>>

A white room.

I cant even make out the light source-everything is just...

Blank.

Empty.

Numb.

It's just a vast space filled with unspoken words and half finished sentences, a place where your soul goes so cold you can't feel it anymore.

At first, there's absolutely nothing; no furniture, no people, nothing.

The only thing there is me, sitting on a tall stool, momentarily frozen as I take in my surroundings.

There's just emptiness-but a dark shape out of the corner of my eye steals my attention. A mirror, hanging from the wall. The golden curls of the fringe gleams in the light, and I blink as if it were so bright it were going to blind me.

When I turn my head to look in front of me once again, a girl fills the space that was once empty.

She can't be me. But she must be.

She's small. Delicate. Groomed.

Perfect.

A twinge of ache hits me like a car without brakes as I stare at the girl sitting on a stool in front of me, unblinkingly.

She's wearing a simple outfit; light blue trousers with a long black shirt tucked in with a belt. Her hair is luscious and golden, falling over her shoulders and curved collar bones like honey. Her skin is porcelain, her eyes like deep tidepools of dark water, hooded by dark lashes. Her cheeks flush with a rosy tint and her lips are full and pink. Pearl earrings dangle from her ears as she observes me quietly from inside the mirror.

She isn't me. But she is. Me, but better.

I don't speak.

Neither does she.