xxiv. midnight

xxiv. midnight

'you wanna feel something

but i dont feel nothing

trying so hard to 

get over you'

(clairo).

amir

When the ghost first speaks to me, I expect it to be something sinister. I sit in the library alone, with my books and homework spread out in front of me, trying to catch up on homework. The past few days have been a daze of bliss, with Matthew and the freedom of being out of my parents house. Schoolwork, which used to be a driving force in my life, has now taken a backseat to everything else. So now I'm sitting in the library, hastily trying to catch up on lost work. Kennedy and Atticus were going swimming or something since the weather had let up, Gianna is who knows where, and Julian and Novie are sneaking into the science lab to hopefully see for sure what's in those trucks. I keep checking my phone for any word for them, but there are no new messages from either of them.

Even though the plan was for me to stay with Atticus, I'd only actually slept there once since I was kicked out of my fathers house. Which I works just as well because Kennedy has been spending every night there anyway.

Matthew and I have spent as much time as we could together; whether it's going out, staying in for homework, or him helping me find a job, we're glued to the hip and I never want it to end. Not even the occasional ghost sighting has rocked me. The Top Hat Man still has been appearing everywhere, and even though it's still cause for a fright, my head has been in the clouds.

So when the ghost whispers into my ear that afternoon, it gave me quite a bit of a fright.

I would expect this ghost to whisper something evil and ominous in my ear, but to my surprise, it is not.

One sample t for a difference in means, the voice whispers, and after a split second, I realized that it's actually the answer to the statistics question I'm currently puzzling over. My head jerks up and I glance around the library wildly, searching fo any other person who could've said anything.

But the library is vacant, and I know that there's a ghost because of the way my skin prickles.

"Uhh..." I feel a little weird, but...

When I move into the next question, the same voice whispers, ".0453."

"Thanks?" I whisper under my breath.

And so as each question goes by, the same voice would whisper the answer in my ear until my whole worksheet is filled out.

"What's your name?" I whisper. It's a boy's voice, but one I've never heard before.

The voice stays silent.

"I could just call you 'Quizlet boy'" I offer and I hear a soft laugh, but no answer.

I just shrug and pull out my bio binder.

"Are you perhaps an expert on the cell cycle?"

I'm just pulling out the sheet of paper, when my phone buzzes with an incoming call from Julian. It's six o clock, hours since I last had contact, and I immediately snatch my phone up to answer.

"Hey," I greet happily, still grateful for Quizlet boy.

"Amir?" Julian sounds shaky, like he was trying to control himself. "We need an emergency meeting. Can you meet me at Nova's?"