The barmaid

Scarlett never broke eye contact with him as she put her jacket on. Polly and Ada came up and Ada put her arm through Scarlett's and pulled her towards the door. Arthur looked at Tommy who watched her walk away. He patted Tommy on his chest.
          "Come on brother let's go ave some fun!"
The two walked outside and Arthur left Tommy and ran to catch up with John, Ada, and Scarlett. Arthur put his hands on Scarlett's shoulders playfully.
          "You'll love my pub!" He said proudly.
———————————————————————————
Polly was standing right outside and lit up a cigarette as Tommy walked up to her. She was smirking at him.
          "Don't give me that look, Poll."
          "I saw her whisper in your ear." She said as she raised her eyebrow as they made their way across the street.
          "Just business Polly." He said in a monotone voice.
She gave him her famous look knowing that he couldn't lie to her. She pulled his arm to stop him right before they went into the Garrison. He slowly faced her, giving her a look.
          "She challenged you and you liked it." She dared.
He looked at her and shook his head as he made his way In. Polly smirked and then followed.
———————————————————————————
John, Ada, Scarlett, and Arthur had just made their way to the bar. Tommy and Polly had just walked up behind the group. Arthur was explaining to Harry, the bartender that Scarlett was an honorary Peaky Blinder. A blonde barmaid had walked up beside Harry. She placed two bottles of whiskey and glasses in front of them and began to pour. Tommy who was standing behind Scarlett, reached over her shoulder and grabbed his glass. His head was parallel to hers only a few inches from each other. He looked at the barmaid and Harry.
          "Whatever she wants is on the house." He said and then pulled back.
Harry nodded and the barmaid cut her eyes at Tommy. The whole group was crowded around. Ada was sitting beside Polly, who was sitting beside Scarlett, who was at the end of the bar. Tommy and Arthur were right behind Poll and Scarlett. The blonde barmaid walked up and stood in front of Scarlett. Polly eyed the interaction.
          "The name is Grace." She said with a fake smile.
          "Nice to meet you Grace." Scarlett smiled.
Tommy poured Scarlett another drink and Grace eyed him.
          "I never thought Al Capone's daughter would be sitting in front of me." She said with an attitude.
    Polly shot Tommy and Arthur a look. Tommy was about to say something, but Polly put her hand on his arm and pulled him back. Giving him the notion that Scarlett would handle this herself. Scarlett smirked and raised her eyebrows as she accepted this.
          "You are Scarlett Jade Capone aren't you?" Grace taunted.
          "So I've heard." Scarlett responded like she didn't care as she took a sip of her drink.
Grace was very annoyed by how Scarlett was so nonchalant.
          "I'm surprised your father let you come all this way by your little self." She mocked.
Scarlett smiled.
          "Oh he's not worried."
          "You're probably right. He's a notorious killer...I'm sure the apple doesn't fall far from your sad tree." She said with a wicked smile acting like she won.
          "You seem like a smart girl. Maybe too smart for your own good. Well I'm pretty smart too and I'm pretty sure I've figured you out."
          "Do tell."
          "Well Grace...Ms. barmaid. You haven't shown your hands because they are shaking from what I assume is fear. You keep looking at Mr. Shelby behind me for acceptance and reassurance for your actions, which you haven't received. You can't make eye contact with me, which shows you can't be trusted. You were quick to jump on me for no reason, which I think we know why." She ended it with that as she nodded back to Tommy.
Grace huffed in frustration as she looked at Tommy and Polly and then looked back towards Scarlett.
          "Don't look at him, look at me." Scarlett hissed.
          "You don't know me. You just got her—"
Scarlett laughed and then pulled Grace's face over the bar so it was close to hers. Tommy, Polly and Arthur leaned in.
          "And you don't know me bitch. All you know is my name and what my father is capable of. Not me."
   She pulled her in closer and gripped her face harder, which made Grace whimper.
          "And since you know everything...you know exactly why my father named me Scarlett. Never forget it." She said slowly as she let her face go forcefully.
Grace stood back in complete shock. Scarlett picked up her glass like she was going to make a toast.
          "Thank you for my warm welcome. I think I'll like it here." She smirked as she tipped her glass Grace's way and then downed it.
Grace quickly walked away and Scarlett got up and turned around to see Polly, Ada, Arthur, John, and Tommy staring at her.
          "Do you think I hit a nerve?" Scarlett asked sarcastically.
She took the bottle from the bar and walked to the middle and sat down with Ada. Polly let out a laugh. John and Arthur were both grinning. The three of them looked at Tommy who was looking forward into the distance with a small smirk.
          "Bloody hell she's something isn't she Tom?" Arthur said as he shook Tommy's shoulder.
          "That she is brother. That she is." Tommy said as he looked over at her laughing with Ada.
They spent the rest of the evening drinking and having a grand time. Arthur and John were having a drinking competition with Scarlett. They were both impressed that she could keep up. Ada was the one who couldn't. She could barely stand and that's when they knew the night was over. Polly walked over to Ada.
          "For Christ sakes Ada you drank the whole pub."
          "Had to celebrate with my soon to be best friend." Ada said as she stumbled, but Arthur and Scarlett caught her.
          "Alright you two help me take her home." Polly said.
Arthur and Scarlett had Ada's arms around their shoulders as they supported her weight outside. Tommy was outside smoking a cigarette and John had just left to go home to his kids. Tommy looked at them walking his way.
          "She drank all my liquor, Tom." Arthur laughed.
          "We've all had those nights." Scarlett added.
The two boys looked at her and then Polly came up. They all made their way to the house. They finally got Ada in bed and then made their way down to the kitchen.
          "We have a room for you to stay in for tonight and then the house we have for you down the street will be ready for you tomorrow with your things." Polly said.
          "Thank you!" Scarlett nodded.
Polly walked by her and squeezed her hand and went upstairs leaving Scarlett with Tommy and Arthur. Arthur ran his hand through his hair.
          "I'm turning in. Goodnight you fuckers." He said as he climbed the stairs.
And then there were two.
Scarlett looked up at Tom.
          "I'll show you to your room." He said.
He grabbed her suitcase for her and carried it up the stairs. They walked down a long hallway and he stopped in front of the second to last door. He opened it and set her suitcase down. Scarlett stood at the door frame.
          "Thank you." She said softly.
He nodded and started to walk out the door, but Scarlett asked a question.
          "Why did you agree to do business with me?" She blurted out.
He smirked and walked over to her and bent down to whisper in her ear. Without hesitation.
          "Because I respect you Ms. Capone."
She stood there in shock as she watched him walk to the door beside her and close it.