I

"Are you okay?" a voice whispered from behind me while I braided my hair into two dutch braids. 

"I'm okay Michael, but thank you for asking," I replied as I turned to the Mercedes driver. It was different, driving next to the great Michael Schumacher. 

He chuckled. "You have to come to see Mick sometime in the garage, he's dying to see his Godmother again or as he calls you Auntie Gigi." 

Despite the age difference, Michael is one of my closest friends from f1 and also a mentor on the track. He knew my father, and I truly value his experience and expertise. That grew into Michael bringing me into the family and I ended up becoming Mick's Godmother. 

Along with Michael, Sebastian was someone I've looked up to, and then being his teammate's first year in F1 was a dream come true. Turns out we are extremely compatible and while a fierce spirit of competition, we can put that all aside. 

"Well, good luck at the Pre-race press conference. I'm sure your announcement will stir somethings up." Michael stated before giving me a hug and leaving my room. 

Not wasting a moment, Sebastian slipped into my room and dragged me to the pressroom. No one likes press conferences, but today everyone was in for a treat. Seated between Michael and Sebastian the conference started off without a hitch. 

"This is a question for Giselle. You've always raced under your first name and never revealed your last name. We are aware you were an orphan, but do you know your last name and will you race under it this year?" a reporter asked. 

I sighed. "I've known my last name my whole life. I have also never been an orphan, my parents adopted me before their death six years ago. They are still my parents only dead." I started causing there to be silence. "You asked if I would race under my real last name. I think it's fitting for my first year in Formula One." 

Michael squeezed my shoulder as I paused not going unnoticed as I heard more cameras clicking. "My name is Giselle...Senna." 

You could've heard a pin drop and then out of nowhere the room exploded into noise as the different reporters tried asking me different questions. Michael of course, put an end to all of it quickly, allowing me the answer questions. 

"Giselle, are you perhaps the late Ayrton Senna's niece or relative?" 

I shook my head. "His daughter he never got to meet." 

"Why not use such a famous name, especially your won fathers?" 

"Why does Mick Schumacher race under a different name? I earned my own spot in Formula 1, on my own. The name is not driving the car, I am. I don't want my driving being compared constantly to my father's."

"Yes, but you do drive a lot like him." 

"Fair enough." I chuckled and the rest of the room laughed. 

"To try and end the great debate, do you believe Michael or your father is the best?" 

I looked over to Michael who shrugged before turning back to the reporters. "In a sport like this, there can never be one best person forever. Records are meant to be broken. Possibly someday  Michael's records will be broken as well." I replied. 

I sat back for the rest of the question that got directed to the other drivers. It was nice having my secret out and open in the air, but also worrisome. I don't want the name being such a big deal that people start to think that's why I'm in Formula One, at such a young age at such a good team. 

The conference ended rather quickly and I was soon following Michael to the Mercedes garage where I felt another body crash into me as they wrapped their arms around me. 

"Is this Mickie Mouse?" I chuckled at the now fourteen-year-old. 

"Aunt Gigi, can we get ice-cream after the race like always?" 

"I think your Aunt might be a bit busy, especially if she wins the race today." Michael butted in, but I waved him away. 

"Nonsense! We will get ice cream after the race no matter what." I assured Mick. I wasn't planning on breaking our longstanding tradition anytime soon. 

***

"Here they come toward the checkered flag! It looks like it's going to be Button...my God! I cannot believe it! I really can't believe it! Giselle Senna, on her first rookie race, takes first place with a hail-mary!" 

I could hear the crowds screaming. My engineer screaming. I think I was screaming. Everyone was screaming. I thought I died and gone to heaven, from the sheer happiness I was feeling as I parked the car. 

I felt myself being lifted from the car and heard Sebastian whispering in my ear, while all I could do was join him in jumping up and down.

"You did it!" he exclaimed as he held the sides of my helmet, bringing our forehead together so I could look him in the eye. 

"Seb, I swear he was in the car with me, almost telling me what to do and I followed." 

"That was some miracle, especially with your prolonged pit stop." 

We hugged again before making our way to the Podium. I stood in pride as Monaco's national anthem played for me. I'm actually a citizen there instead of, Brazil since my mother who I've never met had me there. 

Then I was adopted and remained in Monaco for the rest of my life. It's always nice going back home since I'd brought a lot of attention to the newer generation of racers along with Charles Leclerc who is two years younger, yet we never got to meet.  

The champagne was popped, the trophies handed out, more tears shed, and as promised I was able to find a nice ice cream shop that I went to with Mick instead of going to the after-parties. It was a nick kick-off to my life in F1, yet the years ahead were not looking as bright as I thought.