Chapter 2

My mom is home when I get back and she stands in the kitchen with a folder in her hands, reading it. “Hey sweetie.” She says when I open the fridge and get a drink. “How was school?” She asks and closes the folder. I jump up to sit on the edge of the counter.

“Normal, well not really.” I sip and she lifts a brow. “We had boxing in gym class.”

“Yeah I heard some of the parents at work talking about it.” She says. “They wear pretty absurd about it, saying it made their kids violent and dangerous.” She shakes her head. “I actually think it’s a good thing.” She says. My mom has always been a hard-core person. For example, in our basement we have too rooms. One of them is my dad vine-cell the other one is a small room that is used as a chamber for my mom’s gun collection. She’s a Command Sargent Major in the military. But as we are not in a war she works at their office and does lectures for the Army Collage. My grandpa was also in the military, and when I was six years old he taught me to fire a gun. My parents weren’t so happy about that but after my 14th birthday they gave in and sent me to lessons to learn from a professional, and not papa who likes to make me stand out on the field and shoot at old trucks. “Personally I think kids in these times should learn to fight for themselves and stand up for themselves.” She says and opens a cabinet and takes out a mug to pour her coffee into. “Well maybe that’s just me.” She says and sips from the mug that is blue with the Mumins on it.

“I think it’s just you.” I laugh and she giggles breathily. “Dad told you about the dinner tonight?” She nods.

“Yes, you promise you won’t pull any studs on this? Your father really needs you to be nice to their kid.” She tells me and I roll my eyes.

“I’ll do my best.” She smiles. “But he doesn’t even know me! I mean I’ve met the guy like dozen times! And he still has no idea who I am.” She leans up against the counter and holds her coffee with both hands.

“How do you know that?” She asks.

“I had to work with him in gym today.” I reply. “I mean am I so easy to forget?”

“Well dear you have changed a lot this last year or so.” She puts the cup down. “I mean you cut and died your hair, lost your braces.” She has a point, but it’s not like I died my hair blue, I just made it a little blonder than it was.

“Still.” I say and slide down on the floor.

“Well I don’t know what to say, maybe he has a disease so he doesn’t recognize people unless by their hair colour or skin tone.” She says with a sarcastic tone.

            My dress made out of thin white laced fabric that slides down my body, giving me an innocent look. I put my nearly dried hair up in a bun and put a white bow in it. On my feet I wear white ballet shoes and stocking. My mom told me to dress girly and to wear white. I like the dress even though it makes me look venerable. I apply some make up and try to hide the ink behind my ear. It’s easy because I’ve done it before. After my talk with mom I went to the gym for MMA practice with my coach. I’ve been doing MMA for a year now. It’s relaxing. My mom found the coach, he’s one of the soldiers she trained, apparently her favourite. There is a surprising knock on the door. My mom comes in and tells me that the Crows will be here soon. I finish my make-up and then jog down stairs to help my mom set the table. She tells me about Drakes parents and his brother. His name is Henry and is five years old. I never knew he had a sibling. Then again I don’t know that much about him other than I’ve seen online and at school. The doorbell rings with a scaring eco. My parents go answer the door and I wait in the dining room. The dinner is quite formal and my mom has been sweating her arse of for this. I hear laughing and greetings from the door. His dad looks a lot like him. A little smaller and chubbier. He has a dark beard and black hair with grey spots. His mother is beautiful. Her dark brown hair flows down her shoulders and the pencil skirt hugs her thighs and waist showing off her body. Her smile is wide and wrinkles appear next to the corners of her mouth. She smiles at me with her green eyes glowing. She walks towards me and I plaster on a big smile. “April, always so nice to see you” She says and shakes my hand. “This is my younger son Henry,” she says and points at the little brown haired boy clinging on to her arm. He peeks up at me and I smile to him. He wears a blue and green sweater and blue pants. His hair is a little curly like Drakes and he has the same eyes as he has. “Say hi to April.” She says.

“Hi to April.” He teases and she giggle, as do I.

“And you know Drake.” She says and pulls him towards us. He looks a little imbalanced for a second but only for a brief moment.

“Hey.” He says and puts his hand out for me to shake it. I do and smirk. This is going to be grate.