Untitled Part 16

The girls and I spend the night in my room after making everything ready. I packed, weapons, food, clothing, first aid kits, and blankets. I save some photos from my family album and my sister’s first cloths. No one knows, except me that my mom keeps them in her nightstands drawer.

I run my hand through my hair, thinking of the day we moved to this house. It was the same day as I said good bye to the rehab. I was so happy to be out. My parents came to get me and my mom was smiling. I had not seen that smile for almost a year.  They drove straight to the house and told me that this was a new beginning for us. I was glad to get out of the house. To me it was hunted. I couldn’t even walk by my sister’s room without tearing up. I hug my duvet closer to my body. Gosh’ I’m going to miss this thing. I never realized how much I love my duvet. It sounds stupid but it’s true.

            I look at the time. Seeing that its 4:14 am makes me give up. I quietly walk down stairs to get some water. My toes get cold right away on the cold stone floor. I wrap my fingers around the glass. My hands are shaking. I try to push the thoughts of all of my friend’s lives getting lost because of me.  I chuck down the water and put the glass down in the sink. I walk around the house as quietly as I can. I look at the bags that are all lined up by the front door. I make sure that everything is there. I have no purpose right now. I can’t stand that fact. I walk back upstairs and into the bathroom. My hands run under the warm water before splashing it into my face. I give up on staying awake. Back in my bed that is jammed with two other girls that like there space while sleeping I twist and turn until my brain finally gives in.

I feel like I have only slept for minutes. The sun is rising and I poke Tiff and Tally. Both of them look at me with tiered eyes and frown. “It’s too early.” Tally whines and I kick her in the shin. “That was un called for!” She says and sits up. I roll out of the bed and start getting dressed. I wear a pair of black yoga pants and a black tank top. In my bag I have a long sleeved shirt, if it gets colder. I find a black hoodie and a black jacket. I tie my hair up in a ponytail. I run down stairs while the girls are still getting ready. Henry stands in the kitchen and eats a banana. “Hi.” I greet and smile. He smiles back.

“April?” I look at him while pouring orange juice into a glass. “Are we going to die?” He asks. I think about it for a while before finding the right answer.

“Yes.” I confirm. “We are all going to die.” He looks petrified. “…Someday.” I add and smirk. He laughs and I smile at him, sipping my juice. “We’ll keep you safe.” I tell him and hug him.

“Good morning.” Sam says as, he, Ash and Drake come down. They attack the food as if they have not been fed for weeks. I laugh slightly and turn to face Drake. “Hey.” I say and smile.

“Hey. How are you feeling?” He asks.

“Nervous.” I amid and push out a weak smile. “How did you sleep?”

“I wouldn’t call that sleeping, more like lying in bed waiting.” He says and I laugh.

“Same here.” I finish my juice and put the glass away. “I’m going to brush my teeth.” I inform for no good reason at all. He nods and leaves. I notice that the door is unlocked when Sam comes in with a huge smirk on his face. He stares at me and smiles like a kid.

“What?” I say, my mouth filled with toothpaste. He laughs and pokes me. I spit it out and look at him. “What?”   

“Tell me why you two were talking?” He says and pokes me again.

“Because we are going to be out there, in the field soon.” I say and he keeps smiling.

“You two have a thing going on.” He clears and I blush and try to not smile.

“No what are you talking about.” He pokes me and laughs.

“I’m right!” He shouts.

“Shut up!” I tell him and push at his chest “We may have, but it’s none of your business”

We stand by the door. My heart is beating. My palms are sweating. My head is throbbing. I look at my friends, my heroes, and soldiers. Drake opens door and we rush out. At the moment the world is quiet and still. The trees reach into the sky and the hoses stand like shells. Only shells of homes. Now there is no life there.

We walk down the street, slowly, calmly. Henry stands between Drake and Ash. Behind me Sam walks with Tiff and Tally. Both of the girls have their hair up and a gun in their belt, like myself. We all have a radio and Sam has a map.  We have found the safest way to the old town and it should only take us about three hours. I hear nothing but my own heart beat ringing in my ears.

            We have been walking for one and a half hour when we get to a construction site. I huge building reaches into the blue sky. Grey walls with holes as windows. We are about to walk past it as we her shouting and then gunshots are fired at us. We flee into the building and try to shelter ourselves. The banging are loud and pound on my body. Henry, Sam and Drake stay on the second level while, me, the girls and Ash got to the roof. In my bag I have a riffle. I never fired from it before. It’s large and I remember my mom telling me that it is her second most powerful weapon. She never told me what was the most powerful. I lode the gun and shoot over the edge of the building and fire. The back throw hits me and stumble back a little. The soldiers are dressed in grey and look like they have no personality. Almost like ghosts.

            The shots keep flying, 10.000 miles an hour. 1000 of them. I feel a hot burn on my upper arm. I shake it off and keep shooting. It’s the hand that only pulls the trigger anyways. The ghosts start to fall down. One by one. When there are only a few left they leave and the bangs start to die down. I take a deep breath and then I hear a loud gasp. I look behind me and see Drake come running towards me. He points at my arm. I look at it and nothing but a pool of blood. My fingers are red. Red droops slip down from my fingertips, splashing on the ground. My vision gets blurred and my head gets heavy. I stumble and feel a hand around my body before my conscious slips away.