24. Hit the ground

Chapter 24: Hit the ground

Ellie's POV

*****

I could feel the room starting to spin around me as our eyes locked with one another's. His eyes widened as he processed everything, and I could see him opening his mouth as if wanting to say something but closing it again. 

My vision started becoming blurry as tears formed in my eyes, unable to believe what I was seeing in front of me. 

Luke, the guy who had been one of my best friends since kindergarten, the same guy who had been my boyfriend for about three years, had just hooked up with a guy. 

"Ellie," he whispered, a sigh escaping his lips as he closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, probably knowing that it was time for him to explain. 

"I knew that you were keeping something from me, I just never thought that it would be something like this," I choked out as I turned around to leave, knowing that I wasn't able to look him in the eye anymore. 

"Ellie wait," Luke said as he grabbed me by my wrist to stop me. 

I turned around to face him, the look in his eyes nearly making me pity him. 

Nearly. 

He seemed shocked and broken, and that angered me. I was the one who was supposed to be upset, and not him. I had asked him time and time again to tell me if something else was going on and he always brushed it off. He lied to me, and that was something I could never forgive. 

"Please let me explain," he begged, his voice softer than I had ever heard it before. 

I looked at him momentarily, the sight of him enough to make me feel like crying. I wished that I could remove his arm from me and walk away, but I didn't have it in me. The reason I stayed was not for him, but for myself. I deserved some form of explanation, and he was willing to give it to me. 

"So explain then. Explain why you lied straight to my face," I said, harsher than I had wanted. "You're gay, Luke. Don't you think that that's something important you should have told me about?"

He looked as if my words were hurting him, and a part of me felt horrible about it. I knew, deep down, that there was some kind of reason as to why he hadn't told me about it before, but I still couldn't help feeling betrayed. I started rethinking our entire relationship the moment I saw him getting out of that room, and it was too painful. 

Luke looked at me and sighed, before gently pulling me into the room he had just come out of. Releasing my hand, he took a look outside to make sure that nobody was near, and closed the door before looking at me again. 

I could tell by the look in his eyes that there were a lot of things he wanted to tell me, but instead of talking he just made his way towards the bed and sat down, his head in his hands. The moment he looked up at me with bloodshot eyes, I froze. 

"I never meant to hurt you, Ellie. Gosh, that's the last thing I ever wanted to do," he said, his voice breaking slightly. 

"For how long have you known?" I asked, crossing my arms against my chest and looking down at the ground, suddenly finding myself unable to look him in the eyes. 

I feared the answer to that question, but I also knew exactly what it was going to be. He had been acting strange for a long time, and I was too oblivious to even notice it. 

"I never cheated on you, I hope you know that," he said, standing up from the bed he was currently sitting on and walking closer to me, making me take a step back.