20. More of an upgrade

Chapter 20: More of an upgrade

Ellie's POV

*****

My cheeks felt as if they were on fire as I was telling my brothers everything they had missed in those last couple of months. The story started from how Luke broke up with me, getting both of my brothers riled up. It took me a while to get out of that part of the story, especially after Ethan vowed that he was going to teach Josh a lesson. My brothers were not easily calmed down, but I somehow managed to make them drop it. 

What mostly flustered me, however, was when I started telling them the story of how I got in the band. It was already embarrassing enough to tell them that the first time I met Blake I had hit him with his own door, and it was even more embarrassing to tell them that I showed up to an audition for an only boy band. 

"I never thought I could be any more proud of you, Els, but you've outdone yourself," Ethan said with a chuckle. 

The entire story coming out of my mouth sounded so strange. Saying everything out loud made it seem like something out of a story book, and for the first time I had truly realised how many things had happened. 

"So you're telling me that people just randomly started posting videos of you and Blake after the interview?" Noah asked, his lips pursed as he clearly tried to fight back a laugh. 

Ethan, on the other hand, didn't seem to happy about that, and it took a lot in me not to roll my eyes at his behaviour. I loved him, but sometimes he seemed to forget that I was growing up and that I didn't need him looking out for me so often. 

"Yeah," I sighed, not knowing what else to tell them. 

I had already made them aware about James' reaction to the videos, and about what he told us. Initially, I didn't want to mention the fact that I had accepted to go out with Luke, especially not after their reaction to the break up. Nonetheless, it just came out when I was talking. There weren't many people I could open up to about it, and no matter how much I loved Blake, Dylan, and Adam, I was certainly not going to be talking about any one of them about the situation. 

My brothers were the only people I had in that moment, and even if their reactions to the news weren't the best, they didn't hold it against me. 

"Are you sure about that though?" Noah asked as I told them about my plans with Luke.

"It's not a date, I just want to see if we can go back to being friends. Getting James off my back is only a plus," I answered. 

I genuinely did want to hang out with Luke, and I certainly didn't do that to make people think we were back together. 

"But El," Noah said once again. "Are you sure you don't actually like Blake?"

My cheeks reddened once more at his question. I should have certainly expected something like that to come from Noah. He always like to observe and analyse things. There were moments where his observations were correct, and there were others when they weren't. That instance, I was still not sure of. 

"What silly questions are you asking her?" Ethan glared, hitting Noah on the back of the head gently. "If she says that there's nothing going on, then there's nothing. Don't put things in her head."

"May I remind you, dear brother," Noah started off as he turned to look at Ethan. "You were only a year older than her when you got with Kelsey. Thanks to me, might I add."

I rolled my eyes at their usual banter. Ethan would act overly protective when it came to either me or my older sister Lara, and then Noah would bring it back on to him, reminding him of how he got with his wife at the age of seventeen, and was in love with her for practically his entire life.