Chapter 1.5

January 1st 1949

The first glance

The first glance

××××××

THE PRISTINE MAN READ OVER THE LETTER bewildered while the blonde women he knew to be Grace rocked the newborn girl in her arms, a worried expression laced her face as she paced up and down.

"Reggie..." Her southern accent was strong yet her voice soft when she spoke as if not to wake the baby.

"Grace we've discussed this." He states firmly in his British American accent, his dislike for children was strong and the blonde women knew this. However she wasn't gonna give up the baby, at least not without a fight.

"Mary Jane was my friend. Reggie the poor baby has already been abandoned once and I don't plan on doing it to her again. Wether you like it or not she's staying." The women held a strong argument, knowing it was next to impossible for him to say no to her.
"Please." She begged as if she had asked a question.

Her eyes held sympathy, hope and love when she looked at both him and the infant swaddled in a laced white blanket and a light pink pacifier that was bigger than half her face in her mouth being sucked gently as she slept, the safety and warmth Grace emitted was so motherly that the child knew no better.

The stern man's gaze softened when he looked at the pair. Taking his monocle off and sticking it in his pocket he got up and walked over to the woman and child.

He took a look at the tiny person, a proper look. Not a glance like before, a good right stare. He looked at the sleeping face of the pure white child. He couldn't deny she was a beautiful baby, extraordinary. He had never seen anyone quite like her. Her parents being quite high up in the science department like both him and Grace would mean she would have quite the brain.

Sighing he looked the blonde in the eyes, eyes he'd gotten lost in many times before. The sky blue colour of them amazed him. Just looking into those hope filled pools of blue made him begin to reconsider. Surely raising her would be no different to raising Pogo, though he was a chimpanzee and her a homosapiens, they were relatives in a sense so there should be no major differences in the upbringing of them.

"Alright, if that's what you wish," He tells softly, giving into her loving gaze.

Grace beamed at his words, she knew, he never had wanted children and both agreed that work was their main priority but after they had taken in Pogo as their own, Grace didn't hate the idea of a baby, and the fact Reginald agreed made her one of, if not the happiest gal in Dallas. She didn't expect him to help raise the child but that didn't matter As long as she was around, her daughter would have the best life the blonde could provide for her.