Chapter 6

There was a buzzing in Melda's ears. She was pretty sure someone in the crowd screamed. She wanted to as well, but it felt like her throat was closing up along with Merlin's. She rushed to him, falling to her knees.

Her fingers frantically searched for a pulse, but her worry wasn't eased when she found one.

Arthur knelt beside her, putting a supportive hand on her shoulder. She barely reacted, feeling numb. Gaius joined them. He shoved the goblet in her shaking hands and employed Gwen and Arthur to help him get Merlin to his chamber. Once they were inside, Gaius was all business.

"Lay him on the bed quickly; he's struggling to breathe. Gwen, fetch me some water and a towel. Melda, bring the goblet here," He demanded. Gaius's tone snapped her out of her stupor. She could help save him. She handed the goblet off, brushing past Arthur as she adjusted Merlin's pillow to help him breath.

"Is he going to be alright?" Arthur asked anxiously. The silence was all the reply he needed.

"He's burning up," Gaius said grimly. Melda grabbed a cold compress, pressing it against Merlin's forehead.

"You can cure him, can't you Gaius?" Gwen asked.

"I won't know until I can identify the poison," Gaius said, bent over the goblet. "Ah. There's something stuck on the inside," he said, fishing out the object with a small tool.

"What is it?" Arthur asked.

"It looks like a flower petal of some kind," Gaius said. He flipped through one of his books, before landing on what he was looking for. "The petal comes from the Mortaeus flower. It says here that someone poisoned by the Mortaeus can only be saved by a potion made from the leaf of the very same flower. It can only be found in the caves deep beneath the Forest of Balor. The flower grows on the roots of the Mortaeus tree." The image showed a large tree and a cruel looking beast curled up among the roots.

"A Cockatrice," Gaius said when he saw Melda's confused look. "It guards the forest. Its venom is potent. A single drop would mean certain death. Few who have crossed the Mountains of Isgaard in search of the Mortaeus flower have made it back alive."

"Sounds like fun," Melda said sarcastically.

"Melda, it's too dangerous," Gaius said sharply.

"If we don't get the antidote, what happens to Merlin?" Arthur asked. Gaius's expression turned grim.

"The Mortaeus induces a slow and painful death. He may hold out for four, maybe five days, but not for much longer. Eventually, he will die."

-

Melda had gathered her things and was getting everything packed into saddle bags. Uther had forbidden Arthur from pursuing the quest, but that didn't mean Melda had too. Morgana had offered her own horse for Melda's use. She jumped when someone spoke up.

"Ready to go?" Arthur asked, leading his own horse out of the stables.

"Arthur?" Melda asked in a whisper. "How?"

"Morgana gave me some encouragement," Arthur said. "And I couldn't let you go alone. And without a sword." He passed one over to Melda, who strapped it around her waist.

"Thank you," she said softly. Arthur made a dismissive gesture.

"He saved my life. It's the right thing to do."

"Let's go," Melda said after a moment. "We have no time to waste."

They rode past the guards, ignoring their orders to halt as they galloped into the night.