Chapter 7

A tall tree loomed above the three travelers, its roots covered in the flowers that Melda and Arthur needed.

"There they are," the woman said. The roots of the tree were across a large gap, only traversed by a narrow ledge. Melda looked down, and couldn't see the bottom of he hole in the ground. 

"Keep back from the edge," Arthur warned. "Don't worry. We'll be out of here soon," he assured the woman with them. The woman smiled oddly, before she started speaking.

"Eorthe, lyft, fyr, waeter, hiersumie me." 

Melda felt the cold certainty that this had been a trap when the cave began shaking. The woman continued.

"Eorthe ac stanas hiersumie me. Ic can stanas tobrytan..."

"What are you doing?!" Arthur cried.

"...hiersumie me." The woman finished her chant. The rocks came out from under Arthur's feet. He left for the opposite ledge, and just barely caught it. Melda turned to confront the woman, but the other placed a hand on her forehead and muttered another spell. Melda crumpled to the floor.

"I expected so much more," the woman mused. Arthur tried to turn to look at her.

"Who are you?!" He cried.

"The last face you'll ever see," the woman taunted. A skittering sound drew Arthur's focus, and he looked up to see a large spider making its way towards him.

"It seems we have a visitor," the woman mused. Arthur edged away from the spider, drawing his sword with one hand. He quickly dispatched of the spider.

"Very good. But he won't be the last. I'll let his friends finish you both off. It's not your destinies to die at my hand," the woman said, before turning and leaving with the only torch.

"Who are you?!" Arthur yelled after her again. She didn't respond, quickly leaving his view. He pulled himself up onto the ledge and carefully moved over to Melda's still form. She responded slowly, blinking several times after she'd awoken.

"I'm fine," she insisted, pushing Arthur away, though not unkindly. "Let's get the flower and leave." Arthur swallowed back a protest and stood.

"We can't see anything," he said. "How will we-" He was cut off when a glowing light came down the corridor. He drew his sword again. "Come on!" He said sharply. "Just finish us off." The light simply floated by, then hovered by their heads. Melda stepped forward, and the light followed her, lighting her way. She slowly made her way across the ledge, grabbed the flower, and came back. The light faded as soon as she had crossed back over.

"What was that?" Arthur asked.

"I don't know," Melda said. "And at this point, I don't care. We need to leave." She handed Arthur some of the leaves, and kept some herself. "If Uther grabs one of you, I can get to Gaius in time." Arthur nodded. 

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, Arthur. Let's just get out of here." Placing the leaves in a small pouch, Melda led the way out of the caves.

-

As Melda had expected, the Guards instantly descended upon both of them.

"Inform the King! Arthur has returned to Camelot!" Captain Gregory cried. One guard ran off. Melda realized that they were almost completely ignoring her, and she slipped away. She heard their exchanged faintly as she left.

"What are you doing? Let me pass."

"I'm sorry, Sire. You're under arrest, by order of the King."

Melda made her way towards Gaius's rooms, running full speed. She found Gaius huddled over Merlin, Gwen watching anxiously. They both looked up as she arrived.

"How is he?" Melda asked urgently.

"Have you got the Mortaeus?" Gaius asked. Melda thrust the push out towards him.

"Here."

"His breathing's much worse. We have to hurry," Gaius said, beginning to crush the leaf. He stopped suddenly.

"What's wrong?" Gwen asked. "Why have you stopped?"

"The poison was created using magic. We may need magic to make an antidote," Gaius said.

"But we can't!" Gwen said. "It's forbidden. Even if we could."

"I'll try and make it work without it," Gaius said. "Oh, I need some fresh water." He handed Gwen a bowl and she ran down the hall. Gaius turned to Melda. 

"I know what I'm asking of you," he said. Melda shook her head.

"You don't even have to ask." She took the bowl and began chanting.

"Sythan arrest wearth feasceaft funden. Denum æfter dome. Dreamleas gebad he gewinnes longsum." The potion foamed for a moment, and then settled. Melda felt the tattoo on her arm burn. Gwen came back and handed Gaius the bowl of water. She went back to Merlin's side, and Melda felt her heart ache for Gwen.

"Thank you," Gaius said. He poured the potion into a little cup and joined Gwen at Merlin's side. "Hold his nose." Gwen did as he asked. There was a beat of silence.

"He's stopped breathing. What's happening?" Gwen asked frantically.

"Gaius?" Melda asked. Gaius put his head too Merlin's chest and listened for a moment.

"His heart has stopped," Gaius said.

"He's dead?" Gwen whispered. Melda made a choked sound in the back of her throat.

"It's my fault. If I'd have got here sooner. If I'd have been quicker," Melda muttered, left hand moving to cover the area of her arm where her tattoo was. Gwen got up and Gaius gathered her into a hug. Melda hugged herself, feeling like the floor had fallen away beneath her.

"No, no. It was me. I should've looked after him better. It's my fault," Gaius said, answering Melda. Gwen was sobbing. All three of them looked up as a familiar voice filled the room.

"That's disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself. You're old enough to be her grandfather," Merlin said. 

"Merlin. You're alive," Gaius said, relieved. 

"No. I'm the ghost come back to haunt you," Merlin joked. Gwen suddenly grabbed his face and kissed him. When she pulled away, non one seemed more surprised than her.

"Sorry, I'm just...I thought you were dead," she said.

"It's fine. It's more than fine," Merlin said, cheeks pinking slightly. "...erm...what happened? The last thing I remember is drinking the wine." Melda had moved closer by that point, clasping his hand in her own.

"A lot little brother," she said. "I'll explain as soon as I take nap." Merlin squeezed her hand.

"I look forward to hearing it."

Melda smiled slightly. "Goodnight everyone." She squeezed Merlin's hand in return and moved towards her room. As soon as the door was closed, she pulled her sleeve up to inspect her burning arm. She grimaced as her fears were confirmed.

The druid symbol was slightly more filled in than it had been before.