chapter twenty-six

Frank lied in the hard, dirty ground with Hazel. Hazel's previously golden eyes were not a pale yellow.

Hazel's hands were the only thing that were still warm in this cell. Frank's hands, however, were always shaking. He jerked his head at every movement, and he seemed to always be on edge. His eyes darted every place that seemed to be a threat.

His anxious habits had been increasing throughout the days, and the only thing that could tame it was Hazel's touch.

But as the days went on, her touch was getting weaker and weaker. He tried to comfort her, but he to was getting tired.

They were restless, and everyday it seemed to be getting darker by the day. Frank was so tired he didn't register the guards coming into their cell. They grabbed him a little too rough, and took him outside to see the things he had been worrying about for the entire time they had been there.

•••

Clarisse sighed heavily at the sight of the shining sun from being in the dark so long. It took two full sized men to keep her under control. She was putting up a fight. She refused to stay silent, she had to put up a fight. Even though she has the gut feeling that she was soon going to be gone, she had to make it as difficult as possible.

Clarisse let out the most blood-curtailing scream she could manage. Chris looked at her in pain. He was so weak, and it killed Clarisse to see in the pain he was in.

Clarisse kicked her both her guard's shins, running over to Chris. She tackled his weak figure in a hard hug. Guards tried to separate them, but despite their wear figure, there was no success.

The head guard barked orders that neither of them heard. Everything was a blur through her messy tears. Chris was the only thing that mattered now, and she didn't care if she lived or died. She was with Chris.

Clarisse felt something hot trickle up her back, making its way up her body. She heard the cries of the villagers witnessing, but she payed not attention. Not even her tears could stop the raging heat moving up and around her and Chris.

•••

Frank walked outside to see his sister, crying and holding onto Chris.

"CLARISSE!" Frank yelled, breaking free from his guards. He ran to her, but before he could make it there, he felt multiple arms pull him back. Right as he got pulled away from them, he saw a red stick being thrown at them.

As the flames danced around his sister, Frank's shouts were muted out by the cries of the people. The flames were not controlled, and that was the worry of the people. Not that two people were turning into ashes.

Soon enough, the bodies previously there had been turned into grey embers.

The Emperor showed no remorse. Even as he motioned for Hazel and Frank to be tied to the stake.

~~~

Cliffhanger, huh?

I have the next chapter written, the question is when I am going to post it...?